• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Viv locks

missblackstar

Hey everyone, i'm new here so take it easy with me....

I should be expecting my new vivarium to arrive on friday. Here is a picture of it:

item1945.htm

(i hope that worked..)

The problem is i am very worried that my corn will escape, and my house is awfully old and as it will be staying in my room which is next to our loft room, i am scared if it does escape i will never see it again...

So, the question: The viv has sliding glass doors, are these usually escape-proof, or will i have to buy a lock for it? Or is there any other methods i can use?

Any help is very much appreciated!!

Sliding glass isn't escape-proof without something in there to stop it sliding. One of mine managed to nose the glass open enough to get out once.

I have two of the vivs you linked to. I just use a sucker wedged in at the point where the two panels meet and thats enough to stop them moving. I use suckers on four vivs - including the two like yours - and haven't had a single escape since I started using them. I do have a jewellery case lock somewhere as well but I don't use it, the suckers are much easier and less likely to accidentally damage the glass.

:)

eirt3m.jpg

Actually, seeing as it is exactly the same vivs as I use (hobbyist ones) ....

Have you got yourself a tube of clear silicone in advance of it arriving? You'll need it. The seams around the base need to be sealed and the plastic air vents that are mounted along the back wall of the tank had to be siliconed in on my two.

Also, the little plastic mount that holds the bottom glass runner plank in place in the middle will need a pilot hole drilled into the plank. It comes with a big fat round headed screw that they seem to think will self-tap through the vineer and into the particleboard underneath. Ummmm ..... don't think so!

Other than those two little annoyances, they are very nice vivs once you get them up and running.

:)

that is a brilliant idea using a sucker! Definitely will try that! I haven't yet got the silicon gel stuff but i will do.. to be honest the company i have bought it from (the viv) delivered it the other day but the two long pieces of wood on the front of the viv were broken in half.. yet everything else was in perfect condition!! :shrugs: the one i bought was £80 and they are going to send me a more expensive one (is usually over £100 i think) for £85!! So in fact it has worked out pretty well, seeing as originally i really wanted the more expensive one but couldn't afford it!!

I just can't wait to get it home and bring my new snake back! :)

Back