• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Vivarium and Screen: Comments and Critiques

Twovultures

After the last thread, I went back and redid the vivarium-this time getting a thermostat for the heater and a WHOLE bunch of extra driftwood to add 'clutter' so the snake knows how to hide.

My dad has become as invested in the project as me-he built a screen for the top, which will be weighed down with bricks as soon as I get them down here. The screen opens in the middle using a latched door.

The substrate is a mixture of shredded coconut and aspen. i got that because it's what was at the store, but I actually like the effect-I find it very aesthetic.

So, does this look like it's ready to receive a new snake?

Attachments

• Side View.JPG
    Side View.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 122
  • Top View-Cover.JPG
    Top View-Cover.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 122
  • Warm Hide and Pile of Driftwood.JPG
    Warm Hide and Pile of Driftwood.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 122
I actually dig it. First, some compliments. I really dig the coco/aspen combo you got going on there. It looks really good with the driftwood. I really like the driftwood theme, sort of foresty yet barren lands at the same time. It's a refreshing break from the more common jungle appearances. Nice work on the screen lid, I'm sort of jealous.

And now a few comments and opinions...

• Depending on the size of the snake you plan on getting, make sure there's no tight nooks and crannies in any of the driftwood. Snakes will squeeze themselves into the tightest places possible, which leads to both A. making it very difficult to get them out and B. potential for them to actually get themselves stuck.
  • You might consider trying to position some of the driftwood in a more vertical manner, giving some climbing height. This increases overall exploration space, increases activity, and leads to a healthier snake. It would also look a little better aesthetically, there's an aweful lot of wasted height.
  • While fake plants or vines might not fit the theme, snakes (especially babies) really love them. Something to consider possibly trying to find a way to fit in there.
  • I don't know how moist you keep your coco fiber, but you are going to want to keep a close eye on the aspen on top of it. If the aspen gets too moist or damp, it will build up bacteria very easily. Also, while it might look pretty, it's going to be a pain to change and clean.
  • And lastly, possibly consider fashioning a clip/clamping method of attaching the lid instead of bricks? It probably wouldn't take much. Shoot, you could more than likely manage large office clips or small hardware clamps of some sort cheaply and easily. Another alternative to bricks would possibly be something heavy and woodsy, maybe some heavy natural rocks (after cleaning)? Actually I like that idea, if you found some good looking rocks they would compliment the driftwood theme well.
Overall though, I like the setup. Actually, I think it looks a lot better than mine, and it will provide your new pet plenty of comfort and security it looks like. That's the real important part.

there's a gap in your screen your little guy can get out of. other than that it looks pretty good.

I'm not sure where you're seeing that? The largest gaps I can find on the screen are the 1/2 centimeter gaps in the wire. The screen is actually hanging on a ledge on the inside of the aquarium top, which blocks the area between the glass and the screen. Where is this gap?

Nythain said:
Overall though, I like the setup. Actually, I think it looks a lot better than mine, and it will provide your new pet plenty of comfort and security it looks like. That's the real important part.

Thank you! I spent a lot of time agonizing over whether or not to get a pet at all precisely because I was nervous about providing proper care for it. So it's good to know that I at least have the basics down.

I'm not sure where you're seeing that? The largest gaps I can find on the screen are the 1/2 centimeter gaps in the wire. The screen is actually hanging on a ledge on the inside of the aquarium top, which blocks the area between the glass and the screen. Where is this gap?
I was curious about where a gap was seen too. And the only thing I could conclude was the hinge. In the picture, it's hard to tell there's a hinge there, and looks like a 1/2" give or take space between the latching "door" and the rest of the lid. But that's actually a dark hinge, not a gap.

Awesome!

What size is the snake you're getting? From what I've read here & seen with our snake, it's amazing what they'll squeeze through! I have to ask (mainly because I learned the hard way): do you have any other pets that could get to the top of the tank? If I were to do it over again, I would add screen mesh to what you already have. With our first snake, we had a screen mesh top & the cat jumped on top ripping it with it's weight & the snake was never found again.(we were in a commercial and residential building... never found him). So the second time around, we got the bars for a top, which are 1/2 cm apart & much stronger should the cat (different cat this time) jump on top but this time, we assume, it grabbed the snake's tail & tried to yank it out, tearing the tail off. So that being said if the snake can poke either end through a hole/gap... it'll somehow find a way to fit one end through. ;)

I really like it! The only thing I have to add is that it would be a great idea to head to a dollar store to grab a few rolls of the artificial vines that most of them stock. They don't have any wires to hurt the snake and they look surprisingly awesome!

Thank you! I am in fact getting a hatchling corn snake (it will arrive this Thursday). The screen is tight and strong, though I am going to secure it further by drilling another layer of wood over where the wire is attached to the frame. That should lock it down tighter.

I don't have any other pets, so my snake will be safe from that. There's one cat who pretends that he's supposed to go in the house, but my roommates and I can see through his lies.

Back