• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Vivs - Glass or Wood?

ruraldean

Old and Getting Older
Do UK members have a view on which might be better? If a consensus is reached then where might be a good place to get something between 30" and 33" long? Rubes is going to need better housing soon.

Many thanks.

Paul

I've used both wood and glass, both had plus points to them, i'm not left with a preference really.

You can buy wooden flat pack vivariums off the internet that you put together yourself. Theres a list of good websites members here recommend in the UK forum and most of these sites do flat packs. I bought my wooden vivarium off ebay though, brand new and half the price.

All the best

Tom

My personal preference is wood, but then I've never used glass. The only thing I can think of is that it's easier to get ventilation lower down in a wooden viv, but plenty of folks use glass succesfully.Good wooden vivs seem easier to get hold of here in the UK.

My rule on size is "the larger the better". I'd say 36"x12" floor area is a minimum for an adult Corn, but again this is a personal view.

theres a shop in Bolton that i know of that sells SWEET glass vivs! they have all types of sizes and if you need a specific size they can get them specially made to fit your requirments! So iv got glass for both of my two.
I would say though that in the future when i get more corns i would like to get a rack system using tubs in replacement for the vivs. I just think, that although the vivs look really good, if you want to have a few reptiles, there just guna take up to much room. Then you have to deal with all the wire for all the seperate heat mats and so on.
I would probs keep one though cos they would be great for decoration. but i reckon tubs are great! RACK SYSTEM FOR ME PLEASE! lol i need more snakes!

2008_0704pictures0005.jpg

2008_0513pictures0004.jpg

2008_0421pictures0007.jpg

Brett, you glass vivs look really good!

What shall I do? Thinking ahead down the line, where/ what shall I house my 4 corns in? I don't think the largest tub (84L?) from the 'really useful box' company is big enough...

What do people house their adult corns in?

I use wooden mainly because thats all i have ever really known, i think a wooden viv looks really nice and i have 3 which have all been hand built

No, you can use a UTH underneath a wooden viv, although I know I've said it before and am having trouble describing my setups to you!

Personally I like the wood look, it's quite natural. :) But I suppose there's probably not a great deal of difference between the two, they'll both have pros and cons. If you have a wooden one, it's important to make sure your UTH is regulated to stay at a certain temperature so it doesn't overheat. Well, really in any tank the temperature should be regulated in any case.

This is the tank my dad built for my corn as a christmas present to me:

tank 3.jpg

tank.jpg

tank 2.jpg

It's just oak with sliding glass doors, with a sheet of plywood for the back panel, and very sturdy. :D If you get sliding doors for your tank, just make sure you have a wedge or something you can use to ensure your corn won't force open a door and escape.

Wow nice tank, can your dad make me one for my birthday!? :D

Haha, nice try, I think that's wishful thinking though. :p He might've if you paid him pretty reasonably, but atm he's hardly in England as it is, so, sorry.

Besides, he only made the tank, I bought the stuff for the inside and decorated it!

Lol, I was only joking, just to show how nice a tank it was. But yea fair play with the decor, really nice.

Lol, I was only joking, just to show how nice a tank it was. But yea fair play with the decor, really nice.

Ta, it's always nice to hear compliments on the effort it's taken to get Tango's tank looking this nice. :D Trouble is, I don't think the spoilt little thing even appreciates it!

Back