• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Warm house = no cool side?

Discordia

Cute Overload
I don't have a snake yet, but it sounds like I'll be getting one during the hottest months of the summer. Right now it's only getting up to the high 80s (F), but my apartment already gets really hot while I'm gone because I'm a cheapskate college student and don't see the need to run the AC yet lol. Would this be a problem for a snake to have the ambient temperature at the level the warm side should be at? It seems like I'd be cooking him in a glass oven, no UTH necessary. Would I have to run the AC 24/7? Keep the viv in a styrofoam cooler while I'm gone? I know there's some fellow Arizonans here, what do you guys do (but I'm sure you have more money to spend on the electric bill than I do, haha)?

I keep imagining my future lavender baby hanging out in front of a little fan, propped up inside the tank, and an ice pack under the cool side...

If you are really going to get a corn snake why don't you get a digital thermometer? Check out a few areas in the apartment that would be coolest in temps. A room on the cool side of the house?? A height is something to consider too so keep that in mind.

The ambient temp really shouldn't get over 86F or so, and only that for a very limited time.

Hmm, I alternate heat and AC in my home to have it vary between 78 and 83 with ocassional highs of 86. My snakes are healthy, no issues shedding, and digest just fine. As long as you keep your place 84 for the high and 78 for the low I don't see any issues, but if you get a snake you will have to run the AC to keep them from baking. If not running the AC is your prime goal I would not get a snake.

I think that you will be surprised that the hottest part of your snake's viv will rarely if ever get above 85°.

Keep it out of direct sun, and consider a fan.

But, use a good thermometer and you may need to do something like an ice pack if it is really hot. I have a basement, which helps a ton- but if you don't have a basement, you are going to have to pay attention to the temps. Use a thermometer before you get a snake and see what your temps are really like.

I keep my snakes at room temp year round - never have any problems. It never gets above 82 in the summer or below 65 in the winter.

Hello,

Without knowing your fiscal situation I can only make one suggestion which is both beneficial to your snake and you, without hurting your wallet.

A AC unit for a window.

Perhaps in a bedroom window? If you keep the door closed and figure out a way to help insulate the door a bit, the unit should run rather infrequently while maintaining a temp that you and your snake can enjoy.

The temperature of the house doesn't matter nearly as much as the temperature of the room the snake is in. Think minimalist and see how it works! WalMart sells units like that for maybe $75 IIRC. You could even set it at 75 or so which will save you even more money as far as how long/often the thing runs.

Hope this helps!
BigByrd47119

Thanks for the replies. I do have an AC unit, but because I'm in an apartment, it's an older model and uses a lot of power, so I'm trying to keep its' use minimal. I'll keep the room temperature at around 80 when I'm not home and make sure to get a good thermometer the next time I'm out and about- does anyone have any suggestions for brands?

Back