• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Wasp Spray can Kill Snakes

w00dg0blin

I did a forum search and couldn't find this. So I thought I'd pass it along and see if any one else knows about it.

There's a guy at work that constantly sends me those annoying emails; don't flash you headlights; hypodermic needles in McDonalds ball pits; rat urine on soda cans, etc. You know the stuff. Most of them are BS and I enjoy finding the facts to set him straight. Sometimes though, you can find a tid bit of truth buried in there some where.

Anyway he sent me one about how some church lady that uses Wasp Spray for self defense. Apparently it has similar effects as pepper spray BUT it has not been tested on humans. SO DON"T DO IT! The last line caught me eye though; "wasp spray will kill a snake". A quick Google search turned up a Dept. of Agriculture study they did on Guam (see the link below). They learned that Raid Wasp & Hornet killer killed all four tested snakes within 4.5 hours. Other products had mixed results with some fatalities occurring overnight. Needless to say, I'm not going to use any bug spray anywhere near my snake.

http://aphisweb.aphis.usda.gov/wildlife_damage/nwrc/publications/98pubs/98-107.pdf

Well, I figure anything that can kill fish can also kill snakes. So I pretty much don't use any pesticides.

In our battle against the bedbugs without using toxic things, we found two things that really worked.

First, diatomaceous earth. It is made from ground fossilized organisms and kills any crawling insects, including ants, silverfish, roaches, etc. We've found it also works quite well on fleas and to get rid of crawling fruit flies (only the young-- flighted ones it won't work so well on).

Second is a product called Bed Bug Mace. This worked very well on the bedbugs and is safe to use around most pets. I'd be cautious with it around birds, as it does have essential oils in it and is quite strong. But it works not just on the bedbugs but also on the adult fruit flies (we recently had an infestation of those break out). You can google it if you're interested. I'm not certain it would work on bees, but it might!

I sprayed a bee with Raid in my bedroom last night, which is also where the snakes are housed... totally didn't think about it until afterward, and then I got a little panicked! It was only a direct spray onto the bee, though, who was across the room from the snakes. All are fine, so I guess fumes across the room don't hurt them - but I'll be more careful from now on. :eek:

I'm like Nanci - I assume that any kind of insecticide, pesticide, domestic cleaner, air freshener etc. is toxic for snakes, unless it states that it's safe for fish.

Back