• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

water dish, lightbulb,and heat pad question

Seawin

hiya ...well anyways ive heard of people putting their water dish under their lamps for humidity but i was thinking wouldnt the lamp make the water possibly to hot for the snake to drink ?and also i was thinking of buying a reptile 50 watt red bulb so i can check out my lil Seawin at night i currently just use a heat pad in a 10 gllon tanks with 3 hide spots and a water dish in the center with a small grape vine wood peice ...sounds cluttered but its not hehe also for a 10 gallon tank would a heat pad a low wattage bulb be to much heat because the heat pad stiky side dosnt stick because when i had to move it around it unstuck and fell in some dust n dirt =\ also wut wattage should i use ,i dont il use think anything higher than 50 watts ...and u think for 10 gallon tank combo heat pad and bulb will be to much heat or if it will heat the whole tank up to much.? .....sooner or later i should be getting a really nice 20 gallon for Seawin to move to so i dont think that should be a problem . :crazy02: :crazy02: :crazy02: :crazy02: :crazy02: :crazy02:

If u want to use a nite light to view go as low a wattage as you can, the heat pad (UTH?) is plenty enough heat for a ten and twenty gallon aquarium...they still work unstuck, just place it on something heat resistant, like tile or a piece of slate...you can raise and lower the tank over it to adjust your heat...placing the edge of the waterdish over where your heat pad is will help the humidity and wont get to hot to drink :*)

I have a 10 gallon tank for "Chilly" too. I have a UTH plus a 40 watt bulb on the hot side. It pretty much depends on the temp inside your house. I sometimes have to replace the 40 watt with a 25 watt because it tends to go over 85. I like to keep the hot side around 82-85.

I have both a UTH and a light. I rarely use the UTH because it shoots the temps up over 95 very quickly. My cages are a 20 gal long and a 30 gal tank. I use 100 watt bulbs, Red at night and then the Daylight one during the day. Sometimes I do forget to switch them during the day and the Red night light stays on all day. If anyone knows whether or not this is a problem, please let me know. They are kept in my dining room near the hall way and it gets natural light during the day. My tank temps stay around 80-83 during the day and 77-80 at night on the hot side. I keep my house between 65-68. On the cool side the temps around in the low 70's.

Jean

JeanH said:
I have both a UTH and a light. I rarely use the UTH because it shoots the temps up over 95 very quickly. My cages are a 20 gal long and a 30 gal tank.

Jean

I have the same problem (25 gallon). If it's a really warm night, I'll turn off the light and turn on the uth, but I also have a 100 watt and even if I raise it, the temps still easily reach 100. As for the light though, if the uth is off (almost always) the light stays on 24/7. I don't know if this is a good or bad thing, but I know a breeder who just never turns his off so I assume it's alright.

My solution is to just buy a dimmer for the light, and an on off switch for the UTH. At night (when the temps get colder) I plan on turning on the uth and just lowering the wattage of the bulb. Which, might I add, makes for a very lovely night light for me! :D

just went over to petsmart(i hate that place) couldnt find any red rep bulbs under 60 watts =\ gonna head over to local Rep store where i got my orn ...such a great plae and the guy knows wht hes doing lol just a little far il check tat out later today hehe

You can always buy the 60 watt and hang it above the tank so you can raise it as needed. Much easier to lower the temp with a higer wattage bulb, than raise it with a bulb that doesn't get hot enough. :)

60 might be too much for a 10 gallon though... just fyi . 75 is about optimal for a 25g, but I prefer the 100w so I can regulate it... but I could be wrong. Opinions?

well today i put peice of tile under the tank to hold the heat pad to the bottom of tank beause it dont stick any more and i put TEMP guage on the substrate on he hot side it wasike 88-89 then i placed the gauge on the coolside for about an hour an a half with out a heat pad and it reaches 82 but at this moment my room is VERY hot so i open window and turn on fan for it to cool and checed and its 82 still my snakes been on 82 degree side i know its hot how do i kool it down it gets cooler at night obviously but it is i think way to hot for his comfort he probably wants to be kooler but i dunno i got water dish ofcorse and a bttuer cup with lid with a hole cut out and a damp paper towel in it and hes just dug under the substrate

Back