• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Water drinkers from the hand?

quixoft

Whenever I put either of my two baby corns back in their habitat after handling, I always put them on the cool side near the water and let them make their way out of my hand so I don't just drop them in.

Every single time, both of them will hang off my hand and start drinking hanging upside down from my hand for a good fifteen seconds. I never see them near the water bowl otherwise.

I'm glad they are drinking(both are also feeding fine) but I found it a bit odd. A part of me thinks maybe they don't know where the water is and aren't drinking normally and so when I show them, they guzzle it down. The water bowl is on the cool side right next to the edge and is changed daily with natural spring water(no chlorine or chems) from the grocery store.

Anyone else experience this?

Mine likes to drink when she is taken out, particularly after she has eaten. She actually likes droplets for some reason, so we sprinkle extra water on the edge of the bowl and watch her hunt them out and suck them up :)

Do you change the water when you pull them out? Maybe they want it nice and fresh.

My amel likes the mouse soup water. Also known as drops of water that fall off of the f/t mouse when fed to her. She has to go around after shes done eatting and lick up the little drops.

I actually chose my new hatchling because he/she did that. I find it really endearing to watch snakes drink, and they're usually pretty shy about it, so I couldn't resist. I would guess that yours do know where the water bowls are, and do drink when you're not holding them-- after all, I've never seen two of mine drink at ALL, but I know they must do it. They probably just get thirsty being handled, and appreciate the convenience of not having to hoik themselves up to reach the water. It strikes me as a trusting thing to do, because when they're drinking they're not paying full attention to the Big Scary Thing That Probably Wants To Eat Them. So I find it more promising than worrying.

Some of mine like to drink when they've just eaten as well. The more relaxed ones will drink while I hold them - they stop on the way back into their vivs.

They show no signs of dehydration, so I guess it's just an individual habit. Some do, some don't.

My little guy does this quite a bit also, I guess he just figures "why not" since hes already passing by the water dish on his way back to his hide or wherever he ventures to after that.

I've never seen my little corn drink. I don't spend 24hrs a day watching him either though so i'm sure he does at some point. He/she is healthy as far as I know, feeds well and is active. I've seen him go through the dish on his exploring rounds but never stop & drink.
I'm at the wrong place at the wrong time apparently!:shrugs:

My amel likes the mouse soup water. Also known as drops of water that fall off of the f/t mouse when fed to her. She has to go around after shes done eatting and lick up the little drops.

My carpet python dropped her rat in her water dish once, then proceeded to drink as much of the resulting rat soup as she possibly could. I wonder if they drink after a meal because they feel like they need to wash it down with something, much like we do.

Ariadne loves drinking. If I give her a bath, the first thing she does is drink as much of the water as she can. Usually she gets thirsty after she's been out adventuring for awhile, so I always put her back near her water bowl as she will often take a drink before she leaves my hand.

My classic corn does this sometimes. When I'm done handling him he takes a big drink. I assumed it was because all the activity makes him thirsty. Hes the most curious snake I've ever held.

Today I took one of my babies out just for a little "how come you havn't shed yet?!" pep talk, and noticed he'd dirtied his water bowl. I took the water bowl to the bathroom, cleaned it, put fresh water in, and returned it to his tub, admired him awhile longer, then put him back.

I always wait for babies to work their own way off my hand. Instead of slithering off right away, he reached down and drank some water!! It was the sweetest thing, almost like he completley understood what was going on when I'd filled his water bowl in front of him. It was awesome! Also, I thought it was cool that he was comfortable enough to take a drink while still on my hand. :)

i was actually going to post the same question... my bella will take a big drink when i go to put her back in her tank. in the month and a half that i have had her, i have only seen her drink without my help twice, but she takes big drink almost every time i play with her... i guess it isn't all too rare

i just fed mine a couple of days ago, and within half an hour, he was going for a swim! ive never seen him do this before, and i never figured the size of the water container was wrong. he has comfortably drank from it before, but this was a little bizarre. anyone else seen this? also, just as a disclaimer, i only take out his hide/playthings when i feed him. otherwise, he tends to ignore his food.

Attachments

• Photo on 2010-08-05 at 01.07 #2.jpg
    Photo on 2010-08-05 at 01.07 #2.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 18
  • Photo on 2010-08-05 at 01.07.jpg
    Photo on 2010-08-05 at 01.07.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 18
Heh-- yeah, you might want to push up the size of his water bowl a little.

I have a burrower, a climber, and a hatchling who has not yet had time to make his preferences known, but I know that some corns are also swimmers-- they like the water, and like playing in it. Looks like you may have one of those. Which will make it a lot easier ot deal with if he ever has a rough shed, at least!

I have seen a grey-banded king snake do approximately the same thing with his too-small water bowl when he was very hot. The A/C wasn't really helping the snake room at the rescue too much earlier this summer, and his cage was right under one of the overhead lights. He's moved now, and doesn't do that anymore. So if your snake isn't just a water-baby, it might be a temperature thing. Is his cage a bit warm?

i dont think so. the temp is usually between 74 and 78 depending on the time of day. ive only found evidence of him doing this once before, and when that happened, i thought he just fell in the water. but i saw this incident, and it was the same mess as before. the last time this happened was probably less than 2 weeks ago.

Then he'd probably just like to take a swim now and again. I'd give him a bigger water bowl and see if he likes hanging out in it.

Back