• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Waterdish/Hide combination opinions.

cornsnakejunkie

HI, I am new here, well posting wise, been lurking around for awhile, and I am kinda new to keeping cornsnakes(use to keep WC corns as a kid). :rolleyes: Anyway, I'm here to say this is a very informative and interresting site, and to ask a question. I have been using plastic flower pots for hides and matching saucers for waterdishes in my Tarantula enclosures for quite some time, as the two matching "clay" pieces look very pleasing and do their job exceptionally well. Well I have been looking for ways to improve roaming space in my baby snake enclosures but still have the necessary accomidations, and came up with putting one of these 6"Hx6"D pots upsidedown with entrance hole notched into it, and the matching waterdish hotglued to the top. My question is do you think this will be stressful to the snake as opposed to the dish being on the ground?
Any and all opinions welcome. Thanks in advance,
Matt :sidestep:

Whew! That's a good question. I would think it would stress the snake a bit to have to get up there to reach it's water. Others will have more thoughts on this. Have you tried taking two saucers and using one upside down with a notch for the hide and hotgluing the other right side up for the water dish? That wouldn't be such a reach for your snake and would accomplish what you're looking for as far as freeing up some floor space. :wavey:

Welcome to the forums!

I use a dogs water dish. There are 2 holes on each side (handles) big enough for an adult corn to go in comfortably. I have these in both my vivs and the snakes are in them alot.

Thanks alot, JTGoff69, I think I will go with your idea....two saucers is cheaper than a saucer and a pot anyway. Why didn't i think of that?
Matt :sidestep:

I hope its a good idea because just a month ago I made a water dish/hide out of clay in ceramics class for my snake when hes bigger.

I don't think having to climb to get water would be a problem, seeing that my corn loves to climb the walls anyway. But every snake is different. So it just depends on the snake.

Just to let you know...I just recently found out, through experience, that ceramic tends to absorb water...not necessarily a bad thing, just have to change water a lot and clean it. But then again, I'm still a snake newbie trying to throw in any advice I can(usually its me asking for help).

Daniel

Even when its glazed..?

Humm. .. Good information to know. I don't plan on using it because right now its too big for his viv and when I get him a bigger viv I think the bowl will be to shallow for him. Go figure.

I don't know about if its glazed or not, but I use bowl made out of poly-resin material and it works great.

Let's see some pics of your new snake!

Daniel

Back