• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Weight Gain in Yearling Snakes

snakehobbyist

I have two corns that are both a little over a year old. One was born July 2011 and the other was born around August 2011 (I got her from a petstore so her birth date is a rough estimate). I got the bloodred (the one born in July 2011) in May and she was about 40g and is now around 60g. I got the snow (the one born in approximately August) September 2011. She was around 11g when I got her and is now around 40g. I feed them both based on the Munson Plan. The snow seems to eat everything I throw at her...but she gains weight so slowly. These were my first corns, so I have no idea what's an appropriate rate of growth for them. I want them both to be breeding age in Spring of 2014. Both are about 2ft long (27in and 23.5 in). I know I need them to get the the three 3s (300g, 3 ft long, 3 years old) before they can breed. Logic tells me they should be weighing A LOT more than they are. The 60ger just switched to hopper mice and the 40ger is on fuzzies right now. The snow eats every 5 days, the bloodred every 6. Neither has refused a meal.

This is a learning experience for me. I have another female (around 25g) and the male I will be breeding to all of them (he's only 9g) so I want to adjust my feeding if I need to. Both of them are 2012 babies. I guess I've seen how some people's snakes grow so quickly and mine seem to grow slower than a tree.

I forgot to add...I have their feeding records on iHerp (link is in my signature) from May 2012 if you want to have a look at those. I'm pretty positive that the records are public. That may give you an indication of how I've been feeding them and at what frequency.

ALSO, I noticed my snow shed 4 weeks from her last shed (usually she goes every 6 weeks like clockwork). Is this an indication of an impending growth spurt?

I couldn't see your feeding records. For what it's worth, a 60 gram yearling sounds about right, I have a few from last year that are still under 50. And one that's about 100. They really do grow at their own rates, and seem to hit periods where they just put the food away and take off for a spurt. Add to that, they don't all start at the same place, either! Some come into the world as sub 5 gram worms and slow to take off, others have passed their first pink in 3 days and are hunting for more.
The 3 3's is new on me. I let mass, not age or length dictate when they can go.

Thank you for your response. I lost two corns because they didn't eat at all or they were unable to digest. Because of that, I'm very anal with my records because I want to make sure my babies are growing like they should. I'll try to see if I can get my records to display as public. I certainly don't mind if they are.

Back