• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Weird, agitated behaviour

DanetteEd

DanetteEd
Hi. My son has a four year old corn snake that we've had since she was a baby (smaller than a pencil). She has always been extremely calm and we handle her sporadically. The past couple of days she has been very active, and agitated. I fed her three days early, because usually if she's moving around a lot, she's hungry.

So, I fed her yesterday and I went in to change her water today and she wouldn't let me. She struck at me, which she hasn't done for a couple of years, and she looked like she was going to bolt out of the cage. I just closed the lid and came out here to see if I could find anything about weird behaviour.

I keep saying "she," but we don't really know the snake's gender.

Any help would be appreciated.

Like most people here will tell you, this is the mating time of the year. If your snake is a male, it could be searching for a mate and getting frustrated in the process :shrugs:

I wouldn't worry too much about for the time being. As long as your snake doesn't have any health issues and has been a strong feeder/shedder, a change in attitude does happen from time to time.

The one thing you always have to ask yourself though, is there anything new that has changed/happened? Sometimes consistent loud noises or frequent rumblings can make a snake jittery. Like if there's construction nearby going on and there's a lot of heavy trucks driving by, that kinda thing. Something to ponder :)

It´s nothing to worry about thats for sure, as spoken its mating season now and they can be agitated because its THEIR terretory , suprisingly many people
gets panic if a corn may struck sometimes but is it so weird? no its perectly good this behavior because you are always a threat to them , why are the miving out of your hands when u pick them up? the wanna escape! they may accept it but they sure don´t like it PERIOD, i dont mean to be rude or critisize at all , its a general mistake overall that they "like you" snakes are a very simple minded creature they live to breed , feed and survive

Swe_Corn said:
It´s nothing to worry about thats for sure, as spoken its mating season now and they can be agitated because its THEIR terretory , suprisingly many people
gets panic if a corn may struck sometimes but is it so weird? no its perectly good this behavior because you are always a threat to them , why are the miving out of your hands when u pick them up? the wanna escape! they may accept it but they sure don´t like it PERIOD, i dont mean to be rude or critisize at all , its a general mistake overall that they "like you" snakes are a very simple minded creature they live to breed , feed and survive

Sorry to disagree! Our two adults will fall asleep in our hands, on our laps, under our shirts - they know us by our smell, they trust us because we feed them and have not hurt them, and they are comfortable with us; and, as other snake keepers will tell you - they can be trained by keeping a set routine.

When a dog feels safe and secure in their environment they will lay on their backs and expose their most vital part, their stomachs. When a snake feels safe and secure, they fall asleep.

I'm not sure snakes have the cognitive skills that dogs have. As such I think we are very lucky to have snakes that don't spaz out when we handle them. I have 3 snakes with 3 very different attitudes. Tiaga is alright, but constantly on the go. Bree is ALWAYS fighting being held. Brogan just sits there. I truly believe

ackkkkkkk.........I didn't finish my thought there. I truly believe each snake has a different "personality" as it were. Hope you have luck with your baby getting back to being the sweetheart she was before.

suecornish said:
When a dog feels safe and secure in their environment they will lay on their backs and expose their most vital part, their stomachs.
This display is submission, not comfort. Happens with wolves on down to teacup poodles.

As for the original post, yes, sounds like male springtime behavior to me.

D80

suecornish said:
Sorry to disagree! Our two adults will fall asleep in our hands, on our laps, under our shirts - they know us by our smell, they trust us because we feed them and have not hurt them, and they are comfortable with us; and, as other snake keepers will tell you - they can be trained by keeping a set routine.

When a dog feels safe and secure in their environment they will lay on their backs and expose their most vital part, their stomachs. When a snake feels safe and secure, they fall asleep.

i have answers on why they stand still in your hands , its warm , simply as that even in your laps its warm and a comfortable place to "take a nap" let me explain, a tree living snake such as a Green tree pyton is a very aggresive snake most of the times and use their pits to lokalize the threat and strike , butif u take them with a Hook they doesnt react and u can place them on your arm making them belive its a branch.....so if you grab a snake and make them stop moving they often bite because they are trying to escape but if you let them explore whats happening they can judge by them self if its any danger and when they feel that your hand,lap or whatever is a warm place and nothing is agitating them they may stop for a second. This behaviour has nothing to do with them liking you for you like a dog does,
a snake dont have the mind of a dog or human and that i can bet my famlily on....Ok lets say that your snakes recognize you by your smell, then u can let the snake cage open and let him go loose ....he wont come upp to you while u looking at the tv and " hi whats up" and lay down and cuttle.... if they do that please call me so i can film it(no offence)

But i must agree that u can "train" them to be nice to handle , if u lift them everyday they will not see u as a diect threat but it doesnt make them domestic,

you cant compare a dog with a reptile you just can´t i´m sorry its just the way it is , ethology 101

Swe_Corn said:
a snake dont have the mind of a dog or human and that i can bet my famlily on....Ok lets say that your snakes recognize you by your smell, then u can let the snake cage open and let him go loose ....he wont come upp to you while u looking at the tv and " hi whats up" and lay down and cuttle.... if they do that please call me so i can film it(no offence)

But i must agree that u can "train" them to be nice to handle , if u lift them everyday they will not see u as a diect threat but it doesnt make them domestic,

you cant compare a dog with a reptile you just can´t i´m sorry its just the way it is , ethology 101

I agree with most you say; but, less just say for argument sake, that it is the Native American genes in me that make me believe that all things have intellegence; a snake is not intellegent like a dog but intellegent just the same; a tree is not intellegent like a snake but intellegent just the same. It an ancient belief powered by ancestorial genes that makes me believe this, not scientific fact. Science bases intellegence on human intellegence. But all species and living things are intellegent within their species. :crazy02:

suecornish said:
I agree with most you say; but, less just say for argument sake, that it is the Native American genes in me that make me believe that all things have intellegence; a snake is not intellegent like a dog but intellegent just the same; a tree is not intellegent like a snake but intellegent just the same. It an ancient belief powered by ancestorial genes that makes me believe this, not scientific fact. Science bases intellegence on human intellegence. But all species and living things are intellegent within their species. :crazy02:

I guess that's why it's spelled intelligence/intelligent :sidestep:

In regards to this interesting argument, I do believe that both sides have some merit.

On one hand, snakes are not what I would consider a sophistically intelligent animal. Their reptilian brains inhibit them from having a certain amount of understanding or reasoning that most mammals are capable of. This is why most snakes I believe are mostly solitary in nature other than when it comes time for breeding. Snakes are a very reactionary animal which is almost all based on their inherent survival instinct.

On the other hand, I do believe that snakes and people can have a limited understanding and comfort zone based on body language, something a reptile is very well developed for. If you have a snake that is coiled and rattling it's tail, you know what that means regardless of your "relationship" with that animal is. That goes for other behaviors as well. And the snakes also do have a limited capacity to assess a threat situation and develop a more relaxed attitude, but this is very species specific.

I wouldn't try to tame/handle most venomous snakes as they are highly aggressive no matter how calm their environment or handler are. But then you have to consider Cobra handlers. It's almost as if there's a metaphysical relationship between the Cobra and the handler, but it's more or less a balancing act of behavior actions and reactions.

In terms of Corn snakes, I think they are more relaxed by natural selection rather than them understading our "love" and care of them, especially when you consider other Elaphe species that can be normally aggressive like the Texas Rat snakes regardless of how much you handle them. However, some aggressive/hyper snakes can be "tamed" to a degree with a certain amount of handling, but that once again varies on the species AND the individual attitude adjustment of the snake itself.

The Native American Indians had a very interesting and unique understanding of all animals they encountered and learned to respect them in terms of cohabitating along side with them. There are obviously many other cultures that have a lot of these same belief systems and attitudes, however, that is not the status quo. Unfortunately, no matter how much you try to convey that snakes are an important and vital part of our ecology, most people cannot allay their own inbred cultural fears in regards to snakes and reptiles in general.

So, to summarize all my babbling...
I agree mostly with Swe_corn in his overall assessment of the primitive nature of snakes and their inability to form emotional attachments to their keepers regardless of how we feel about them. But I also agree partially with Suecornish that we can create a bond based on body language and behaviors that snakes also can understand. This isn't to say that your most beloved calm snake won't do the unspeakable and bite/musk/defecate on you unexpectedly one day. It's no different that a dog or a cat (or even a human being) that does resort back to some primal instinct and lash out for reasons unknown. The most important thing is to remember not to judge your pet for your not understanding of their true nature, just love them for the animal they are and try to be :)

DeadMouse said:
I guess that's why it's spelled intelligence/intelligent :sidestep:

This isn't to say that your most beloved calm snake won't do the unspeakable and bite/musk/defecate on you unexpectedly one day. It's no different that a dog or a cat (or even a human being) that does resort back to some primal instinct and lash out for reasons unknown. The most important thing is to remember not to judge your pet for your not understanding of their true nature, just love them for the animal they are and try to be :)

I am the first one to admit that my natural spell checker don't work, especially on Saturdays (and I have problems with the computer's spell checker.) :crazy02:

We have had that happen to us, well, my husband mostly. There are times when he doesn't pay attention to the snake's body language and he gets musked. I was letting Smokey crawl on me when he defecated (I just though of it as a baby messing on Mom's lap-no big deal. The signs were there I just did not see them.)

Being able to read a creature's body language, either dog-pet snake-wild snake-human- takes a concertrated effort on "our" part. To be sucessful we must know how to read others. It would be stupid to take a dog's food bowl away from him while he is eating and growling at your hand - no matter how tame or loving the family pet is. You have to have some knowledge of the creatures you are dealing with because like it or not they do have some sort of intelligence.

In this debate there is no real right or wrong. The subject matter can not really be tested to an absolute conclusion. It just depends how people feel and what they think when it comes to the creatures that live on this planet with us.

I have enjoyed this discussion. I hope you all have too.
:wavey:

Well i must agree that all species have intelligence within themselves, its just on different levels , a snake can hunt their prey in dark , they ambush , they poison , they constrict without hands and legs or guns a perfect creature of surviving, they adapt and so on , every living thing have a purpose in my meaning , from the cold hard stone to the most beautiful flower (sounded kinda gay hehe) but u get my point (no offence to gay people aight) .

Hmm yes indeed this conversation have been very interesting and giving.

my point was based all trough science and i hope i didn´t go on to strong folks ;)

Swe_Corn said:
my point was based all trough science and i hope i didn´t go on to strong folks ;)

No, you were not "to strong". I have a problem with people who think animals are mindless with no intelligence and have no feelings (not that you are one). Call it the ancestorial genes in me - I have always respected other creatures and finding snakes in the woods never bothered me. I would call them "little brother" and assure them that I was just passing through and will not hurt them and the wild snakes would go on their way seemly not giving me a second look. I guess I did not have the smell of fear on me and my body language let them know I was relaxed and not a threat. I could tell "wild snake encounters" to my friends and they would get squimish and act as if the snake was right there. I came across a 6-9 ft, arm thick Black Rat snake in the woods of Wisconsin one time, I was going down a dirt road and he was crossing it, I stopped and he passed in front of me. He looked up at me, I waved and he went on his way. To me, I am a citizen of Earth and so are the other living creatures. I give respect hoping to get respect back (i.e, they don't try to harm me.) It all depends on acting respectfully in the understanding of the creature you encounter.

There was a show on Discovery where this guy learned about lions and it took him two months but he was able to sit on the ground in the middle of the pride, between the lion and his lionesses, without getting a reaction from the lion. He was abot to do this by learning how lions communicate and communicating the same way. So, lions have intellegence and within their own society. We just have to learn have to minic that intellegence so we can get along with them.

Science is showing all the time that there are other animals that are "intellegent". Monkeys learn how to hunt ants with sticks, monkeys in Japan learned that certain food taste better dipped in salt water, dolphins have their own communication; so, maybe, someday, they will show that snakes also are intellegent.

Just think how smart the first wild corn snakes captured for "pets" are - They got us to feed and house their offsprings and made sure that future generations will be cared for- :rofl:

Sorry this is so long. :crazy02:

Boy, have we really gotten :-offtopic .

We went from "mad snake" to a scientific debate on non-human intellence/intellegent.

:sidestep:

Back