• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Weird eggs connected by "string"

peachsicle

Hi,
My female 6 year old corn snake was bred 4 weeks ago--last night she laid shriveled up eggs--most attached to each other by a 'string'. This "string"is tough and can't be pulled apart. Anyway, I know they are duds, but what happened? Is this cord unformed shell? You can hold them up almost like an ugly necklace. They are pear shaped and ot a nice white color. Thanks for any insight on this. I've left the nest box in just in case.....

The eggs are supposed to be attached to each other. This keeps them stable, so they don't roll away and drown the embryo after the air pocket forms, and it protects them from predators, because a hungry snake can't swallow the whole pile of eggs attached to each other, whereas it could pick them off one at a time, if single.

What makes you say they are duds? Were they laid in a lay box? They may rehydrate!

The ovules are connected together like a string of pearls in the oviduct. That string is usually absorbed before the eggs are laid but not always. If the eggs were good you could just clip the string with scissors, don't try to pull it free.

Thanks!

Hi,
Thanks so much for the replies! They don't look like any pictures I have seen--I will post a picture tonight. They weren't in a nice little clutch, but kind of strung out. They actually are incubating, just in case--I put some wet moss over them to see if they will hydrate a bit.

they were layed in a lay box

Forgot to answer this question. Yes--and they were only in there an hour or so, before I moved them to the incubator (with humidity)

Can't wait to see your pics. My girls eggs were not attached at all, is that an indication of something being wrong with them or does it just happen sometimes? Now i am worried despite the fact they look so nice and white. . .

Exactly what I was hoping for--haha--nice and white and just like all the good egg pictures. I don't have much hope, but I'll keep em warm and moist and see how they look in a few days.

I've had a mix of attached and single eggs over the years. Never made a note of it, but off the top of my head it feels like a 50:50 split. Doesn't seem to affect the success of fertile eggs.

Hi,
They weren't in a nice little clutch, but kind of strung out. They actually are incubating, just in case--I put some wet moss over them to see if they will hydrate a bit.

My Lilith laid a clutch of eggs in mid March similar to what you are describing. The eggs were more of a "string" and the outside of the shell was rough. So far, the eggs are doing really well. They have doubled in size and with candling have all shown to be good viable eggs. I am anticipating some pips on Saturday... fingers crossed.

In addition, I posted this thread to have others shed some light on the situation with the exterior of the egg.
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97830&highlight=windows

Attachments

• Lil Egg String.jpg
    Lil Egg String.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 94
I think it is more normal that the eggs are adhered together. As mentioned, it protects the eggs from rolling, and also protects against predation. I just leave my eggs adhered when I'm incubating.

Both

Yesterday
I had a clutch of those, you can get both slugs and good eggs that are attached like that.

I have never seen mine strung out like that. Mine lay theirs in a stuck together pile. That's new to me, learn something everyday. :D

pictures of ugly clutch

OK--I don't know what happened--beautiful "proven" healthy female produced these--what do you think--any chance? This is after over 24 hours hydrating.:awcrap:

Attachments

• uglyeggs.jpg
    uglyeggs.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 43
Ick! No, they definitely look like classic slugs to me.

Leave the laying box in with her, as they sometimed drop infertile eggs before laying good ones.

Back