• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

went grouchy

megan

i just got a baby corn snake (about a month old) that i got less then a week ago. the first day or 2 she was really sweet and let me pick her up whenever but all of a sudden she got really mad and always hisses and trys to bite. am i doing sumthing wrong? i decided to give her a few day to get used to her new enviroment but shes still grumpy :confused:
thanks

When is the last time you fed her? If it is recent it might be too soon to handle her.
She could be getting ready to shed. Did you get a look at her eyes?? If they are blue or a milky white then she can not see you very well and you might have just scared her.

i just got her and i have never fed her yet (i tried)... the guy at the pet store said none of those specific babies have eaten yet. shes over a month old tho.. is that weird? newayz thanks a lot

The pet shop was selling snakes that had never eaten?! Hmmm. You should buy the Corn Snake Manual by Bill and Kathy Love which will answer 95% of your questions. Leave the snake for a few days and then try feeding it a small pinky mouse. If it accepts, make sure not to handle it for at least 48 hours after. If the snake refuses to eat, leave it a couple of days and try again.

It might be because that the little guy is a bit stressed out. Try leaving him/her alone for a few days. That way, it can calm down a bit.

What type of food are you offering it?

Also you are in Canada, right? Just wondering where you are located? I am in London Ontario.

ya, i think ill leave him alone 4 a while... seems ta b very shy.
im feeding her pinky mice, cut up.
and im from arnprior, its close to ottawa ontario btw!

LOL...
then I guess we are not that close....
I mean if I were to drive up to Ottowa it takes around 5 hours of drive....

But I really hope that we can meet up someday...

What do you mean that the pinky mice are cut up? Normally snakes eat their food whole. Sometimes for a particularly difficult feeder you might cut the head off of the pinky and try feeding just the head... or you can try "braining," which sometimes stimulates their appetites. But apart from that, there's no reason to cut up the food.

heh ya we r pretty far still..

newayz, i was told that the snake was too small and couldnt eat a whole pinky and that id have to cut it at least in half... is that wrong?!?!

well this really depends on the size of the snake itself....I have hatchlings (or even ones that just pops out from the eggs) that can take in pinkies with no problem at all. I even have one this year that is a bit small....compared to the others (his brothers and sisters) but he is still taking in pinkies.

If you think that it is big enough to take in a small pinky, then try that instead. I think that hatchlings should be able to take in pinkys.....of course there are exceptions on a snake then they can't take in a whole pinky, but only a pinky's head...

The thing that I have heard that works best is "braining" like kenalotia said! Just cut open the head of the pinky so that the briain is s bit exposed and get some blood flowing a bit. If you combine that with paper bag feeding, your corn should mow down pretty quick.

help!!

ok, i just tried to feed her last night.. i left her in a bag w/ the mouse; but it didnt work.. she just came out really pissed off but didnt eat it.. :( .. is there another way that might work too?

no

Do not try and fed it everynight. This works with snakes that WANT to fed. But will only stress out a snake who refuses food and is small.

Try once-twice per week MAXIMUM. Each time you attempt a feeding let the snake be alone totally for a few days. This reduces stress levels and will make your chances of a sucsessful feed greater.

I suggest thawing out a pinkie, and slitting it after warm to allow a little blood to come out, this generally drives the snake into a feeding mode and it will eat. I would try feeding this pinkie to your snake in a bag again overnight.

If this does not work try it again a few days later. If this STILL does not work try scenting the pinkie with a lizard, like an anole. The pet store will probably let you use one of theirs. But I am sure it will eat if it smells the blood.

And its probably big enough for DAY OLD pinkies, the pinkies you ask for at a pet store can be anywhere from 1-5 days old and the 5 day olds are MUCH bigger than say the 1 days olds.

bmm

the pet shop should have never sold you a corn that hadn't eaten in the first place you could be stuck with a problem feeder and young snakes need at least two weeks to settle in to the new enviroment so dont pick it up just leave it change the water every day and that should be the bare minimum young corns get stressed quickly and easily trust me!!

Back