• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

What age do they calm down?

nsmar4211

How old are corns when they start to get out of their jumpiness? I've got a 5 month old corn who still thinks I'm going to eat him. If he's hungry, he's calmer cause hes figured out I'm not going to feed him till he calms down a bit (my defintion of calm on him is sliding around my hands and arms at a medium pace..... not calm is when he heads for the floor at all costs and everytime he's touched he whips around frantically). I feed outside his tank, he's bedded on aspen, temps are fine, he eats fine. I also raise goats and I know that between the ages of 7 months and 15 months they are little devils, but after that they calm down a bit. So when do corns tend to calm a bit (there is a light at the end of this tunnel, right?)- one year? Two years? Never? *gulp*. His mother is really calm and actually hangs around on her owner (the breeder), but this little guy wants nothing to do with hanging around. When I want to hold a snake for more than a few minutes, I get out my ball python... when I want to see pretty colors I get out the corn LOL.

I have no trouble now getting him out of the tank after wearing latex gloves and he turned around and started chewing on the end of my thumb.... after managing to disengage from the latex, he hasn't tried to bite me again! Spends all his time trying to get away now :). At least he's always in the same hiding spot in the aspen so I don't have to dig for him :)

So..........calm snakes?

Some take longer than others. I have a couple who have been calm from day one, and others that I'm still trying to get calm at a year and a half old.

He will eventually calm down if you keep handling him consistently. You have to understand, though, that calm is a relative term. If you are comparing him to a ball python, he'll most likely never be that calm. Colubrids tend to be more active than boids. However, like Meg said, it depends on the personality of the snake. Just keep working with him, and he'll eventually figure out that you don't mean to eat him.

I'd also add that the worst thing you can do is stop handling the animal. I have a few jumpy corns that are fine by fall, but bite every sping when I bring them out of brumation.

Calm Snakes

I must be SO lucky, this is my fourth corn and although he's not a totally happy chap at being handled, after 5 or 10 minutes he calms down nicely. I've never been bitten, although my ball python did strike at me. I think maybe if you feel calm, it helps. :crazy02:

Yeah I think to a certain point, they can feel if you're calm or not, When I first held Trav I was a bit nervous and so was he, although he never did strike at me, or go into striking position, we kinda both calmed down together, Now I'm very calm at picking him up and he relaxes slightly quicker with every handling session. :)

Back