• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

What am I doing wrong??

EddieF

I noticed my Kisatchie is making some noise when he breathes. A whistling, some clicks. I've read enough to know it sounds like an R.I. could be present. I'm taking him in tomorrow to get looked at, and I took a picture of his setup because I know they will ask me a bunch of questions.

Do you see anything really wrong with what I'm doing here? I love my snakes (have a kingsnake also) and try very hard to do everything right and provide a healthy environment. I feel like I'm a conscientious pet owner, even though I am relatively new to snakes. And I feel awful when I consider that the environment I'm providing isn't healthy.

Advice please, but be gentle if I'm doing something stupid. I'm really trying to do the right thing.

Thank you.

butchie-2.jpg

Is he about to shed, sometimes they make noises at this time.
Warm side 80-85 90 is a little warm, cool side 70-75. The viv looks great, water dish could be a little bigger (so he can get in it). susang

he is inbetween sheds. I forgot to mention humidity, it's hard to get humidity in there this time of year, the house is so dry. Near shed time he gets sprayed/soaked and has healthy sheds. I don't see any bubbles or mucus or anything. His appetite is A+.

I'll turn that warm side down a bit. With the CarFresh, which I'm still unsure about, really lets most of that UTH heat through, so that's why I put the dimmer switch on it. With Aspen, I didn't need the dimmer, it sat at 85.

I'll get a bigger water bowl. I notice a lot of people use the ceramic dog bowls that are tan on the outside, blue inside. A higher edge would be better than this one also, because when he goes by it he will spill some CareFresh into the water.

Thanks for the feedback.

Do you think it could be the carefresh.?? I'm just throwing that out as a thought.
But a shed sounds right as susang states.

You don't need the UVB at all. Your temp, on the glass, directly over the mat, not up on the substrate, should be 85. Good luck at the vet. Does he make sounds all the time, or just some of the time? Both my adults sigh and squeak and wheeze quite frequently when being handled.

Well, the sounds are new but I do only notice them when I handle him. They'd be too quiet to hear otherwise. The newness of it is what's most alarming. I'll drop the light for now and that should also take care of the temps which I now think are a little high.

As for the CareFresh, my kingsnake was actually sneezing, I brought her in (also afraid of an R.I.) and they couldn't grow anything from cultures but suggested a change in substrate. Since I went to the CareFresh she does not sneeze anymore. I put Butchie on it just for ease, two snakes I don't want two substrates to deal with.

Back