• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

What day did your pippies arrive ?

aitchjay

Crash & Coco.
O.K. we're now on day 55 and the whole family is having to resist the urge to check the eggs every 5 minutes. I was wondering what day everyone elses pippies first arrived. Thanks.

So far this year, day 57 and day 62 (I have a clutch just starting to pip today, they both were laid May 19)
I incubated at 84 degrees BTW

to my surprise on day 59 when i checked i had 3 pippies, later that day 1 crawled out so likely the first one pipped on day 58.

my first clutch, so my luck clutch #2(due friday) won't pip til day 80 or something LOL.

my temps ranged from 70-85, as sometimes the heat got turned off and forgotten overnight.
i assumed with the temp changes it would be at least day 65 before the first pippy

I've been incubating at around 78-80, give or take. Is there any consequence to turning the heat up slightly, would it speed them up or damage them. I'm not asking because I'm in a rush to see them, but because I'm not going to be around after day 83 and I really don't want to take the whole incubator (or brand new pippies) to someone else to care for. Finding someone to care for young hatchlings would be a lot easier.

I have eggs in the incubator they are now on day 53 and we are the same, on tender hooks checking them each day just in case we are lucky and they come early.

I've been incubating at around 78-80, give or take. Is there any consequence to turning the heat up slightly, would it speed them up or damage them.

This late in the process, I doubt increasing the temperature would make much difference.

If you want to give it a try, aim for 83-85 degrees to be safe. Higher than that, and you need an absolutely rock-solid stat that you know won't take the temp close to 90 degrees (the danger point).

Last year I incubated a bit cooler, around 80*F and had pippies on days 69 and 71, this year at around 83*F I've had pips on days 63, 64 and 68 so far, three different clutches.

I incubated at 85* this year and had pips from 50 - 55 days, but more than likely the ones that hatched at 50 days were laid a couple days earlier than I found them... Last year I incubated at 75 - 80* and they took at least 60 days to pip...

At 82-84* , my clutches have ranged from 65-75 days. I have one clutch who started pipping this morning (2) who are at 62days, with 2 more clutches at 60 days today with no pips yet. Today my butter laid her first clutch, also an Ultramel in her nesting box right now, so i'll get to wait even longer. Not to mention a clutch of bloodred at 20 days in the incubator, and several more with eggs. AAHHHHHHHH!!! I at least had a lot less than last year:rolleyes:

Back