• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

What do het bloods look like?

SnakeNutt

Perhaps I should rephrase that into "What SHOULD het bloods look like?"

I have a clutch hatching right now from breeding a bloodred female (one of the old-fashioned looking ones -- deep red/maroon with a mostly white belly) to an un-known hypo anery motley male (bought as a pastel ghost male, but not sure that he's hypo A). Granted, this is the first time I've ever had a bloodred to even breed, so I didn't know what to expect. However, of the nine babies who've hatched so far (seven more to go), they all look like plain old regular run-of-the-mill normals to me. Their heads aren't that gray, and their side patterns look normal, and most of them have normal-looking checkered bellies (except for one who has tiny little checkers along the edges but a plain center line running the length of the belly).

For some reason, I thought het bloods typically showed at least a little influence from the diffused gene. Am I missing something when I'm examining these babies?

As a separate, health-related question, what causes some babies to be born looking dehydrated. Several of the babies from this clutch have skin wrinkles (like a snake that is dehydrated), and the skin seems dryish, faded and crinkly. All of these babies pipped and then remained in their eggs for 12 hours or more, and none of them have been interested in their little water bowls. Yet, they don't look fully hydrated to me. Is there something I should do for them?

Attachments

• Baby3.jpg
    Baby3.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 78
  • Baby5.jpg
    Baby5.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 78
  • Baby2x.jpg
    Baby2x.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 78
  • Baby1x.jpg
    Baby1x.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 78
  • Baby4x.jpg
    Baby4x.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 78
Since bloodred is codominant there is no *should* to a snake that is heterozygous for bloodred.

Codominant or incomplete dominant (depending on how you want to decipher the definition) essentially means that there is some level of expression from 1-99 with that one bloodred gene. Some bloodred hets may well look bloodred, while some hets may look perfectly normal.

Hit up www.cccorns.com and look at some of their known diffused het snakes. Some look really diffused, some don't.

I've got a snake that I think is het bloodred that looks almost bloodred. But, it might not even be het bloodred---I'll have to wait a few years to see about that one.

I don't know a lot about the diffused gene but I can tell you that my first clutch came out looking wrinkley and dehydrated like yours but I thought nothing of it as it was my first clutch and I had no standard to measure it against. Keep them on moist paper towls until their first sheds and there's little chance they could expire from dehydration. They'll even drink some of the condensation from the walls.

After their first shed, my wrinkley babies looked lovely and shiney, just like baby snakes should!

Back