• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

What is a golddust?

FireDrake

Scaled For Your Pleasure
I was just reading the Joe Pierce Ultra thread and got confused, could someone help me out?

I thought golddusts were caramels with amel and ultra. But in that thread it says (somewhere) that golddusts are ultra ambers.

I still dont understand all this, but, isnt an ultra amber really a caramel with two kinds of hypo?

If you can breed a golddust to a butter and get both butters and golddusts.....doesnt that mean that there is amel in there?

Am I confused? It's easily done.

Thanks

Sarah

Goldusts are Ultramel (the het expression of an Ultra and an Amel) and Caramel. An ultra amber I would think would be a snake homozygous for Ultra, Hypo and Caramel...A Goldust bred to a Butter should give you goldusts and butters, an Ultra caramel bred to a butter should give you all goldusts...

Another one of those confusing morph names. General concensus is, golddusts are as you think...homozygous caramel and 1 ultra and 1 amel gene (ultramel). Originally, I think some people were using the term ultra amber for a snake that is homozygous caramel and homozygous ultra. Personally, I would use the term ultra caramel for this combo to avoid confusion. The use of the name "amber" implies the snake to be homozygous for both ultra and hypo A. It's been awhile since I've read that thread so I'm not sure how the term "ultra amber" was used, under what context, and by whom.

Ok I read back thru the post and this is where, I think, I got that from.

"I still see Goldust labeled as “Ultra Ambers” and I see Hets for “Ultra Ambers“ in posts or on price list too. These hets came from breeding a Goldust (AKA “Ultra Amber“) X Something that produced a Normal phenotype. They are actually Het for Caramel and Ultra OR Amel. I have seen Corns listed for sale from a “Ultra Amber X Het “Ultra Amber”( Actually Goldust X Het for Ultra Caramel) listed as Ambers. Why, because that is what the phenotype looked like to them. I highly suspect that they are actually Ultra Caramels and not Ambers, but we have to remember that the Hypo gene can pop up at any time in the Ultra Line. "

Now that I re-read it, I understand what he meant. Duh!

Thanks!!

Sarah

Ultramel Caramels.. I am am one who is unsure what a Homo Ultra looks like.. I can try and guess but no one seems to be 100% certain on it.. Time will tell though..

Regards.. Tim of T and J

I am am one who is unsure what a Homo Ultra looks like..

I'm hoping (with many fingers crossed) for ultramel anery A's and hypo ultramel anery A's, if the two females i have come out het ultra and not amel...I think the trick will be telling the two apart......

Since I now have Hypo A, Sunkissed, Ultra and Lava in my collection, the REAL trick is keeping the genes fairly seperate as I SURE don't want to try to identify the offspring from a het hypo Sunkissed ultra lava X het hypo Sunkissed ultra lava pairing!

Susan said:
I SURE don't want to try to identify the offspring from a het hypo Sunkissed ultra lava X het hypo Sunkissed ultra lava pairing!

That would be a giant headache!

On another note, has anyone hatched a snake that was homo for any two of the hypos? Yeah, I know, how could anyone tell. :rolleyes:

Two different hypo genes..... that would be close to an albino! :cheers:

FireDrake said:
That would be a giant headache!

On another note, has anyone hatched a snake that was homo for any two of the hypos? Yeah, I know, how could anyone tell. :rolleyes:

Two different hypo genes..... that would be close to an albino! :cheers:

Rich Z has hatched out Hypo Sunkisseds. I currently have a pair of het adults that are in brumation----so fingers crossed!

I believe Joe Pierce has hatched out a sunkissed lava, but you'd have to check his forum on that.

Back