• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

What is a good undertank heater??

Mashedmelissa

I am probably getting a 30gal tank for my baby corn snake in the next few days.. he is in a plastic storage container now with a human heating pad under one side. I was wondering what you guys think would be the best brand/size/place to get an undertank heater for him. I see that none of them seem to have temperature adjusting abilities which just doesnt make sense to me at all.. how do you manage to keep the pad at the temperature you want when you cant adjust it?? Also they are about $50 at the store which is crazzyyy is there an online shop that sells them for cheaper?? Thanks :)

I use these heat mats, Ultratherm, (<that's a link), they come in several different sizes so you should be able to find the right one for you and definitely cheaper than $50. I'm sure other members will be able to recommend different brands of heat mat for you too :)

The general rule of thumb is to use a size that covers 1/3 to 1/2 the floor area of the tank, which should provide ample area for the corn to thermoregulate.

You will need to use a thermostat or dimmer/rheostat to control the heat output of the mat, but you would have to run one of those with any heat mat you purchase. It is also advisable to use a digital thermometer which has an external probe to measure the temperature, as these are more accurate than the stick on or strip thermometers, which can be insanely inaccurate :eek:

Hope that helps :)

I've had an equal number of failures with ExoTerra Desert _and_ ZooMed. By failures, I mean they stopped heating. (Which is why you need a digital thermometer with a probe going to the center of the UTH that you can read at all times, or you'd never catch a failure in time). Of those, I prefer the ExoTerras because they come with big rubber feet to go under your tank instead of the little rubber dots that ZooMed has. I have a couple Ultratherms. I have not had a problem with them, but they don't have a sticky side, which is either good or bad depending on if you want to attach them to your viv or not. I like them to be attached, so I have mine held on with aluminum tape.

I think Walmart and stores like that have a single probed digital thermometer. Big Apple Herp has a dual probed thermometer for $17. I like that one because you can either measure the warm _and_ cool side, or the warm side in two different vivs at once.

If you look at the link I gave you before there are digital thermometers listed on the left hand navigation panel of the Bean Farm, or you could google "indoor/outdoor digital thermometer", some people have said they can get them from walmart etc, but I'm not in the USA so I'm unsure of the best places, sorry!

I've seen other people recommend "Big Apple Herp" and "LLLreptiles" for online supplies, so you could also look there, just make sure the thermometer has an external probe, as Nanci said you need this to be able to place it directly over the middle of the heat mat to get the best reading, with the body of the unit in a place where you can easily read it :)

Hope that helps again :)

Thanks so much! I love this forum haha.. perfect for snake n00bs like me :)

I also wanted to share that Gunther just enthusiastically accepted his first meal! He didnt need any coaxing at all.. he was all over that pinkie!!! :p

Reptilebasics.com has great prices and several heating options (11"X11" Ultratherms for twenty bucks) -as well as nice temp guns. Otherwise, I would suggest you buy from my pet shop! I've never priced any heating pad for fifty bucks; I think the largest Exo-Terra desert is $39.

I need a new UTH right now due to my unexpected snake...I have to go with Exo Terra to match the other mat on the thermostat.

Temp guns are amazing, too, and you can use them for so many things, like how hot are the thawed mice? How hot is my dragon's bath water?

It sounds like everyone else has you taken care of with the information you need. I just wanted to re-stress how important the rheostat or thermostat are.

AND congratulations on an enthusiastic first feeding!

Back