• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

What is she doing?

Hello all,
I hope all of you are well and I hope all of your slithering kids are doing well also. :D My corn snake has been acting kind of strange the last few days and I'm a little concerned. She is about 4 years old. I'm not sure of exact age b/c I adopted her via Craigslist. She has always eaten like a champ to the point that I call her my little Rat Destroyer. But she passed up her first rat yesterday and now she passed one up today as well. I have also noticed that she has been out crawling around her tank a lot more. She's usually shy and hides most of the time but the last few mornings and most of the day she's been tromping around her tank like she's looking for something. I've had the same temps in her tank forever that she's always eaten on and I change the h2o all the time for her. Also She has her warm and her cold side hide. I live in Florida and this winter has been a lot warmer than our last winter was. We have had a few chilly nights but the last week or so it has gotten up to around 80 during the day and around 70 at night. Anyway does anyone have an idea what it could be or why she's acting so weird and won't eat? I'm trying not to be too paranoid. Have a good day guys.

^^What Megan said.

Sounds like typical mature male breeding season behaviour to me!

^^What Megan said.

Sounds like typical mature male breeding season behaviour to me!

Or pre egg laying behavior. I would put a nesting box in there and see if she uses it. She may lay a batch of eggs for you. If she has been housed alone they she will probably lay a batch of slugs. But the others are right it is a very good possibility that she is a he has well. Going by the tail is no where near accurate and he maybe just looking for a girl.

My male Anery is doing the same thing. He is out prowling his viv all day and night.
He is eating well though.

Well the problem is solved. She has been feeding of F/T small rats for the last few months. I decided to try something new today to see if I could get her to feed. I went to Petsmart and got some F/T Mice. Just put it this way, lighting could not have struck that mouse as fast as she did. She gulped it down within a minute or two. I've never had a snake go back to mice from rats but I'm happy with either as long as she is feeding and is ok. Thanks for your suggestions guys. Have a good one.

Naranjamouse.jpg

My little mouse destroyer. I'm so happy now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mice are better for a corn anyway. Rats are higher in fat and tend to lead to obese snakes, especially as even a 5 foot corn really only needs *maybe* 2 large adult mice every 2 to 3 weeks.

Back