• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

What is the best time of day to feed?

IguanaMama

Love at first sight
Is it better to feed them early evening, when they start becoming active? Mine tend to sleep all day and roam in the evening. Does anyone know when they eat in nature? I would think they feed early evening as that is when they awaken and the nocturnal mice start moving around too. Or do they feed early in the day when the mice are sleeping and then sleep off their meal?

I generally feed around dusk, so 6-8pm, depending on the season.

I have fed during the day at times, though they don't seem to be as interested. I have had a few not eat at all unless it was dark out.

Mine start to come out and be active anywhere from 5:30 p.m. on, so I tend to feed them about 6 or 7. They seem to be more receptive then, and I sure wouldn't want to wake them up for a meal during the day. They might just go back to sleep on the cool side and not digest properly. Just my opinion though, I'm sure others more experienced will have others.

I like evening because it allows for handling time during the day.

That and after feeding, you can put him/her back and go to bed, ensuring the first 12 hours of no handling. The way I see it is what if you have to handle him during the day (for whatever reason).

Plus they tend to be nocturnal anyway.

I don't know, I guess it depends on the snake. I've had to feed mine early in the morning or in the middle of the afternoon because I knew I wouldn't be home that night. He's a really great eater though... he'll tag the food before I even set it down. He's like a cobra... stands up and waits. lol

I usually feed at about 8ish pm which i found to be perfect for them, or on the odd occasion about 6-7am as they are just about to settle again for the day, (depending on the snake).

penguin lol :poke:

Main Entry: cre·pus·cu·lar
Pronunciation: kri-'p&s-ky&-l&r
Function: adjective
1 : of, relating to, or resembling twilight : DIM
2 : active in the twilight

Mine get fed at whatever time of day I have time but usually in the early evening that way their timer is still giving them heat for the next few hours...in my own theory, this allows the digestion to kick off a little before the cooler night time (around 22 C in my terrariums). If I do feed them in the morning, I wait til at least 11am because their heat comes on at 10am, so I feel like they've had a little chance to warm up...just my own theory but it works like a charm.

Back