• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

What is this mark/wound?

bubbanarf

Hi all -

One of my 2-week-old hatchlings has a mark or wound on his head that I am trying to identify. When he hatched, he had a bit of dry skin sticking up at that point, but we thought nothing of it. Then later we saw that there was sort of a depression there, maybe a messed up scale. Maybe a wound? It's almost like he was born with it.

When he shed a few days ago, the skin got caught on that place on his head. He shedded fine, but we had to help get that little part of his head skin off.

Does anyone perhaps recognize this sort of mark? Is he okay?

I tried to get a picture of it, but he never really sits still. :)

Thanks so much.

Attachments

• #1_Wound_on_Head_FORUM_SIZE.JPG
    #1_Wound_on_Head_FORUM_SIZE.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 155
  • #1_Wound_on_Head_FORUM_zoom_OUT.JPG
    #1_Wound_on_Head_FORUM_zoom_OUT.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 156
I think we need a better picture in order to see anything wrong, specially with your hatching's color.

Another picture

Here's a bit better picture. He finally stood still, with his mouth full. :licklips:

Attachments

• Number1_Wound_CLOSE_CLEAR.JPG
    Number1_Wound_CLOSE_CLEAR.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 133
Update on marks

Hi again -

The snake in the picture looks like his wound is getting better (smaller, looking like it might be en route to disappearing). And he hasn't shed again or anything like that.

But now one of the other hatchlings has a patch of skin at that same place which is becoming discolored. Not a hole like the first wound on the other guy was, but suspicious since it's in the exact same place.

Could they possibly be fighting with each other? Or might they have hurt their heads as they were hatching? Is there some sort of sickness that might be causing this?

Thanks -

I'd try separating them as an easy fix and see if that's what is causing it. Someone might be able to explain a better idea though.

A snake I just bought had a spot similar to that when I got her, and it came off with her last shed... Rich in KY is probably right and it was a most likely a sore from rubbing on something...

One of mine had a similar spot after a bad shed, not long after I got her. Most of the old skin came off, but a portion stuck up by her head. She apparently caught it on something in an effort to get it off, and tore a portion of one scale. I cleaned it 2x daily with distilled water and applied a thin coating of triple antibiotic ointment (generic Neosporin). Next shed, the spot was smaller but still visible. On the following shed it was gone completely.

Check for rough spots in your viv, as Rich said. Keeping a bit of ointment on it can't hurt and should help with healing. If your humidity is low, consider misting the viv every day or two. You don't want wet bedding, but too-dry can be bad also. Remember that these snakes live in the southeast - which seems to have about 100000% humidity for most of the year! lol

Back