• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

what shall i do with eggs

stevi

i have had my cornsnake for the past three/four years. this year i noticed a difference, got alot fatter, didnt eat for four weeks and keep making what looked like nests. i took my cornsnake to the reptile shop who told me it was a female and was ready to lay eggs. this cornsnake has not been with another. what shall i do with the eggs? is there a chance they can be fertile cuz if so i wont destroy them and will look after the little ones. but if they arnt what shall i do?
thanks in advance
stevi

Hi Stevi,
Well if you are 100% sure your snake has not been with a male then the eggs are not fertile...Afterall, it takes two to Tango in this case ;o) You can simply throw the eggs away and consider that your care of the female has been wonderful over the last 3-4 years. Make sure she has plenty of fresh drinking water and a couple of smaller than normal meals this week and she will go through a post laying shed and then go back to feeding normally.

Yup, I agree, if there's been no boyfirend then she'll be laying infertile eggs, just like how a chicken will lay eggs even if there's no rooster around.

You know there's nothing to stop you turning them into an omlete if you like?!

I personally am not in any way interested in eating snake egg omlette but I hear it's no different to eating a birds eggs and you prepare it the same way.

I saw a nature doumentary where the presenter came across a freshly run over water python on a road and assumed she was on her way out of the water and across the road to some bushland to lay her eggs, so he cut her open and scrambled the eggs he found in there...a little strange if you ask me...I'll try most things but I might draw the line there!!

You may not need to do anything. Two of my virgin females ovulated last year. They both got huge and I thought that they would end up laying unfertilized eggs, but they both absorbed the eggs rather than laying them.

I would not expect your female to lay eggs. If she does, then they will all most likely be slugs. IF you happen to get any good eggs (very unlikely without a male, but it happens in the wild sometimes) then you should incubate them. Again, I don't expect eggs, but strange things can and sometimes do happen.

thanks every one i didnt think they would be fertile but hey i didnt wanne be throwing away babies now did i. and sorry but snake eggs for breakfast doesnt really apeal to me hahaha thanks again

Back