• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

What size water bowl for Corn Snakes?

Kingetula

IT'S GOOD TO BE KING
For a full grown Corn, what size do they need? I'd like to stay as small of a bowl as I can to give him/her more room to lay around or whatever.

4", 5" or 7.5"?

you want a bowl large enough for your corn to curl up and soak inside if it chooses to do so. Take a look at your snake coiled and that should give you an idea.

I could really use this info ASap, I need to place my order for tomorrow shipment

thanks in advance

cowboyman13 said:
:shrugs: I thought i just answered it for you. Is there another question i missed.

If you notice, I posted at the sametime as you. Honest mistake, thanks.

If you are getting a hatchling, you may want to start small and work your way up. I find that for hatchlings, the little cat water bowls at walmart work great. They have a little tunnel underneath also that doubles as a hide. My hatchlings love them.

For an adult, I'd get the 7 1/2".

BeckyG said:
If you are getting a hatchling, you may want to start small and work your way up. I find that for hatchlings, the little cat water bowls at walmart work great. They have a little tunnel underneath also that doubles as a hide. My hatchlings love them.

For an adult, I'd get the 7 1/2".

I saw those today. I decided that shipping and all wasn't worth buying the bowl's on line. I went to petsmart and Wall Mart. At Petsmart even on sale ceramic bowls were $6.99 + (ish), I would of picked up the hard heavy plastic bowls but didn't see any. I started to think I made a mistake by not ordering online. We headed to wall mart and it's crazy how much these bowls cost, even the 7" hard plastic bowls were $5.00 +. As a last ditch effort I went to the house dept and found the perfect bowl. Ceramic cereal bowl, outside is all black and inside is speckled blue for $1.99. These bowls are 6" and 3" deep and of course you can fill the water up depending how big the snake is. This bowl looks nicer and is same quality if not better than some of the doggie bowls.

(Sarcasm) I found a nicer bowl for $3 to $6 less than dog and cat bowl's, I guess cat's and dog's need to eat and drink out of more expensive bowls! I just don't get it.

I dont see the need for a large waterbowl...
I offer moist hides and mist every few days during shed cycles and have never had a bad shed from either of my corns...

It would be ridiculous to apply the same principles to a snake such as a fully grown boa. Theres no comercially available water bowls even half the size needed for a boa or large python to soak in. I find that misting during sheds does the trick perfectly, and ceramic rabbit feed bowls work perfect for yearling corns upwards.

I also find that using bowls for drinking and not soaking purposes reduces snake poop or urine in the water, and prevents having to put a large space reducing waterbowl near any heat source as that will increase humidity and could cause skin issues such as blisters or scale rot.

I wouldnt drink warm water, would you?

Just a few thoughts that you may find useful.

I never mist, and 75%+ of my snakes' water bowls aren't large enough for them to completely soak in without displacing all of the water. Almost all sheds are perfect. The only bad shed I've seen in a looooong time came from a tiny corn that could have easily soaked completely in its bowl. I put the bowl a couple of inches closer to the warm end of the tub, and her next shed was perfect. Of the corns I have now, I have only seen one soaking, and that was a single incident. :shrugs: But still, you can't go wrong with Jimmy and Becky's advice. :)

wow, opinions on the opposite side of the scale. :shrugs: I use small bowls with my kings, I don't need skin problems with them. This is why I asked about corns, what size bowl. hummm.

If they don't need to soak I will get small drinking bowls.

Go to Target and look in their housewares department. You'll find discounted cups and bowls for a buck or 2. My largest is about 4" across. Here's one. You don't want one's top heavy with smaller bases or your snake will be able to knock it over.:poke:

Attachments

• bigmama1.JPG
    bigmama1.JPG
    182.8 KB · Views: 65
Kingetula said:
wow, opinions on the opposite side of the scale. :shrugs: I use small bowls with my kings, I don't need skin problems with them. This is why I asked about corns, what size bowl. hummm.

If they don't need to soak I will get small drinking bowls.

Well, I don't know if the opinions are opposing. I should have specified that my corns are in Sterilite tubs, which are in racks. Humidity is much easier to maintain in this arrangement than in glass vivs. If I had spacious vivs, I'd probably go for the coiled-snake-sized bowl just to give them the option of soaking if they wanted to. (Maybe I shouldn't have replied in the first place; others had this covered. :rolleyes: )

It's OK Roy, don't worry about it. Thank you for your comments. I have to just decide what is best for me and everyones input shows me diffrent sides to every obstacle I may come across. I decided to take the big bowl's back and get smaller ones. If the baby corn/corns never lay in those bowls growing up I will keep the bowls small through adulthood. If the corns sit in the bowls growing up I will get larger bowls as they grow. I think that is best for me right now.

Kingetula said:
It's OK Roy, don't worry about it. Thank you for your comments. I have to just decide what is best for me.....

I would think it's more like ...what's best for my snake.

This sounds like a case of "knowing" your snake, that's all.
What kind of corn do you have anyway?? I haven't seen any picture's yet.

Lennycorn said:
I would think it's more like ...what's best for my snake.

This sounds like a case of "knowing" your snake, that's all.
What kind of corn do you have anyway?? I haven't seen any picture's yet.

Because I don't have one yet, I am meeting K. Love in Orland for the FIRE expo. Okeetee Corn

Back