• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

What to ask the breeder when purchasing(at show)

Corny Noob

Proud Momma
Obviously the show/expo setting is a little different of a setup then when you are purchasing at the store.
I don't get to see their set up, and I obviously don't get to see them feed.

What kind of questions should I be asking the breeder to know whether I should by the snake, or whether they are actually a reputable breeder?

Ask them if their name is Jeff Mohr. If yes, buy from them. If no....well...I'd be careful unless their name is a runner up like Rich Z, Kathy Love, Don S etc...:sidestep:

;)

Okay, seriously...

Ask them where the snake came from...i.e. did THEY produce it or did they get it wholesale from someone else. You'll find a lot of people are wholesale buyers and I'll be blunt--what I sell to them is not my holdbacks! ;) Not that they get 'bad' snakes but they aren't going to get the cream of the crop. Many of the big breeders do this too...wholesale normals, amels, anerys, snows etc to the pet stores and wholesalers and keep the nice ones.

Also, ask the vendor how long it has been in their possesion (if they didn't breed it), how many meals has it had, when did it last eat, what did it eat, etc. Also look at the rest of their animals...do they look healthy? Do the carry a lot of wild caught? If so, do they quarantine CB from WC?

Another word of advice: Saving $5 at such a such table may not be worth it in the long run. You will be taking care of this animal for a while and a few bucks now won't matter a year from now. Be careful of buying the cheapest animals as well. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

Well...that is my little soapbox talk....I should be ready for the Spartanburg Show (SC) next weekend!

Jeff has done a nice job (especially in plugging himself), but you could ask a few more things if you want. If you interested in breeding, asking about any hets, or possible hets, can be a plus. A good breeder may not have everything listed, but probably knows anyway and will divulge the info if asked. The really big breeders, like Rich, usually have important hets noted on each individual, but possibly not all known or potential hets. They simply can't do all that with the thousands of hatchlings they have. But it never hurts to ask as you never know...even Rich might have certain hatchlings that he remembers off the top of his head what the parents exactly were.

Some breeders, especially the smaller ones, may even have full feed and shed records with them...or could send them to you after the show..if you ask. Asking about ACR registration is also a good thought.

Asking to see if the breeder has other hatchlings under the table of the same type you're looking for can also be a plus. Some breeders just don't have enough room on the table for everything and I've often found the perfect snake "hiding" that I would have missed if I hadn't asked.

Asking about guarantees and getting things in writing as well as contact information can help in telling the better breeders from the rest of the crowd. The shows are terribly busy so if you don't ask for a receipt, you may not get one. And even then, you may just get something scribbled on the back of a business card. But that is really all you need and if the seller refuses to do even that...walk away.

A final note...don't be afraid to ask. It may seem that the person on the other side of the table is too busy to talk, and maybe they are busy with another person, be courteous and wait your turn, but let them know you wish to talk to them. But if they ignore you or say they don't have time to talk,then, IMO, find someone willing to spend at least a moment answering your questions.

Susan said:
Jeff has done a nice job (especially in plugging himself), but you could ask a few more things if you want. If you interested in breeding, asking about any hets, or possible hets, can be a plus. A good breeder may not have everything listed, but probably knows anyway and will divulge the info if asked. The really big breeders, like Rich, usually have important hets noted on each individual, but possibly not all known or potential hets. They simply can't do all that with the thousands of hatchlings they have. But it never hurts to ask as you never know...even Rich might have certain hatchlings that he remembers off the top of his head what the parents exactly were.

Some breeders, especially the smaller ones, may even have full feed and shed records with them...or could send them to you after the show..if you ask. Asking about ACR registration is also a good thought.

Asking to see if the breeder has other hatchlings under the table of the same type you're looking for can also be a plus. Some breeders just don't have enough room on the table for everything and I've often found the perfect snake "hiding" that I would have missed if I hadn't asked.

Asking about guarantees and getting things in writing as well as contact information can help in telling the better breeders from the rest of the crowd. The shows are terribly busy so if you don't ask for a receipt, you may not get one. And even then, you may just get something scribbled on the back of a business card. But that is really all you need and if the seller refuses to do even that...walk away.

A final note...don't be afraid to ask. It may seem that the person on the other side of the table is too busy to talk, and maybe they are busy with another person, be courteous and wait your turn, but let them know you wish to talk to them. But if they ignore you or say they don't have time to talk,then, IMO, find someone willing to spend at least a moment answering your questions.
I would do all of this as well. Nice suggestions Susan.

You should also ask what they are feeding the hatchling, f/t or live? That will save you panic down the road if they were fed live only and you can't get it to eat a f/t the first try... The contact info and guarantee is very important, and if your buying multiple snakes from different vendors, write on their business card, (in your writing), which one you got from them... some receipts I've gotten look like my doctor wrote them... :D

let them know you wish to talk to them. But if they ignore you or say they don't have time to talk,then, IMO, find someone willing to spend at least a moment answering your questions.

Absolutely agree with this - in fact I would apply it to anybody selling any kind of animal in any situation.

I've seen my local reptile shop keep a queue of customers waiting for quite some time, while they talk a prospective owner through the requirements and background of their desired animal.

Concern for the animals' welfare over concern for a quick buck, will always identify the good seller from the bad or just plain indifferent (which is the same as "bad").

By the same token, you should be prepared to wait for quality time with the seller if they're doing the right thing and giving their time to another prospective buyer. If they're busy like that, accept that you'll have to queue or come back later. It shouldn't be a problem if you've spotted that absolute must-have Corn!

Thanks so much for all of your advice thus far guys!
Another question regarding this, do most breeders at shows still give you their guarentees as they would if you were buying from them normally?

That is some great advice! But the most important thing that was said is just to ASK QUESTIONS - don't assume anything!

I sell a lot of my own babies, but especially towards the end of the season when I start running out, I take on babies from other breeders too. They are hand picked by me and have the same guarantees as my babies, and are already feeding for me when I sell them. BUT - I may not know their ancestry like I know my own, and you probably won't be able to look them up in the ACR. But if you are just looking for a pretty pet, that may not be important to you. If you are in doubt about anything, just ask.

If you ask questions, you can also evaluate the seller's answers as to whether they seem helpful or evasive, and whether they seem knowledgable as well.

Most shows post the vendor list on their website so that you can check the BOI before you go and avoid anyone who seems to have a problematical history.

Good luck!

Thanks for more pearls of wisdom Kathy :D
Unfortunatly the website for the Havre De Grace shows in MD does not list the vendors because the have the show every month. Guess it's too much of a pain to know who's showing up one month and not the next... :shrugs:

Most of the time if you question the seller, walk away. Reptile shows have a lot of great vendors, (I'm one of them :) ). But there are a lot of sketchy people there too. Look at the table, more times that not if there are 100 different species there is no telling where it came from. Rule of thumb for me.....if I don't like that way the table looks I don't even ask the questions. There are too many good breeders out there for me to buy a snake (even if it's one I really want) from someone I'm not 100% agreeable with. I agree with all the answers listed so far....just make sure there is a way to get back in touch with the person. EX: business cards with phone numbers, email adresses, and website.

Also, will I look like a complete idiot if I carry a little notepad around with me with all these questions on it to remind me?
I tend to get sorta forgetful when it comes to important things and forget to ask all my questions when I'm given the time.

No you wont you will look like a person that is up to date and on top of things , not the sucker that gets screwed. Are going to the white plains show ??? I a vendor, come to my table I have nothing to sell you but I will go with you to cheak out the snake before you make a purchess. How that for help???

Vinman said:
No you wont you will look like a person that is up to date and on top of things , not the sucker that gets screwed. Are going to the white plains show ??? I a vendor, come to my table I have nothing to sell you but I will go with you to cheak out the snake before you make a purchess. How that for help???

I wish I was going to the white plains show, unfortunately I will be going south instead, as the Havre De Grace show is on my way down to my grandfathers on the may 5th show. I was actually just up in the white plains area on thursday though @_@ quite a drive from south jersey, and I will most likely not be traveling up there for one of the shows unless I can't find a snake at this show (which I'm pretty sure I will...I hope o_o).
That being said though thankyou so much for your generous offer, a lot of people really underestimate the comradery and the kindness of the community forums ;)
Any other input as to what needs to be asked? Or do I have a good list for harassing the breeders thus far? :grin01:

Vinman said:
well if you go let me know I will bring a few colored mystery snails to give you for free

Awww jeeez don't make it harder on me. I already have one Gold and one Black. I absolutly adore watching them crawl all over my aquarium.

Oh and mystery snails!
When I first got them:

DSCN2415.jpg

DSCN2377.jpg

Look at the horrible condition their shells were in when I first got them. They were in a goldfish tank at work. :rolleyes:

MohrSnakes said:
Why are they called 'mystery'?

lol that's an excellent question. I also know that they are refered to occasionally as Inca Snails...aside from how to take care of them and what not I don't know, hah.

Back