• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

What to expect from a shed

Creeper

Creeper's eyes are kinda milky looking and her color is fading a bit. I assume that means she is about to shed? Having never been a snake mommy before, I don't have a clue as to what to expect. How long does the entire process take? What can I do to make it better for her? How often should we expect her to shed?...so many questions. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. I know to monitor the humidity level for her, but that's about all. Thanks.

Yup, she's in blue phase.

Try to limit handling at this time, because the snakes really cant see well and it's just a stressful time for them. Soon you'll see the eyes clear up and in about a week she'll shed.

For neonates expect a shed every 3-6 weeks, longer (2 months or so) as they get older.

You might want to increase your humidity levels in your viv a bit right now. Either mist daily with water, or provide a moist hide for them. I used to use a paper towel that I wetted thoroughly and draped over something for them to climb under. I then misted it until it was wet each day. Usually my snakes shed about 3 days or so after they clear.

I noticed Wednesday night (feeding time) Tigger was blue, so I upped the humidy to about 60% by misting and covering the top and adding a humid hide. This morning I woke up and viola, perfect shed! Much better than the first one. That one, I noticed blue and he didn't shed until about 4 or 5 days later and it was in pieces.

Well, Creeper's eyes are clearer today, so I guess we can expect a shed anytime now? Today is pinkie day, but I guess I should wait a few days on that, right?

I'm trying the moist paper towel idea. Creeper likes to hang out in her "trees" (see pic) so I draped moistened paper towls over them and also put one in her hide. The humidity level is already up to 60%. Great advice. Thank you! Looks kinda funny, but makes for an interesting conversation piece. Wonder if there's a niche market for designer "snake canopies?" :)

I'm so excited. :) I was starting to wonder if she was ever going to shed.

Here are the pics - I didn't upload correctly with the last post.

Attachments

• 111_1138.JPG
    111_1138.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 41
  • 111_1149.JPG
    111_1149.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 41
samus had a bit of trouble shedding when she first shed, i had to take half of it off maually but she shed for the second time recntly, and it all came off at once!

We got the top at the local herp store. It's made by ESU Reptile and it's called Tough Top Screen Cover. We paid $15.00 for it and it's been worth every penny. We have a cat who loves to nap on the screen, so we had to get a very sturdy one.

Back