• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

What type would you call this?

disturbedstn

When I picked Slevin up at the pet store his cage just said red albino corn snakes $35 (on sale) lol...just throwing in a bit of humor. When they opened the viv to let us pick one there were about 6 or 7 different snakes only 1 looking about the same as Slevin the others I saw for sure a okeetee's, ghost's, creamsicle's, all about the same age range. So other than their labeling being bad they also couldn't identify that type that I purchased.

Too make a long story short this is Slevin!
MVC-030S.jpg

It might be an amel but from thta pick Im not positive. Is there any way you could get a better pick?

Yeah I noticed after I uploaded that one that it was kinda hazy also he is getting ready to go through his second shed so he is somewhat light in color.

MVC-001S.jpg

Amelanistic is correct but albino toatlly wrong.

Albinos are individuals without any color. They are totally white! Amelanistic have no black.

BlackSun said:

Albinos are individuals without any color. They are totally white! Amelanistic have no black.
Actually in the States, an amel is a red albino; an anery is a black albino. :wavey:

dwyn127 said:
Actually in the States QUOTE]

Would think it would be the same every where. I know the pet stores just call them albinos and thats pretty much what an amel is. Blizzard is all white, Anery is black.
Maybe its different in other places, i dont know.

BlackSun said:

Leucistic would be all white. Albinos do have some light pigment; look at albino king snakes, albino ball pythons, albino burmese pythons, etc. Although I do agree with you that amelanistics shouldn't be called red albinos, but amelanistics (or amels LOL).

Most animals are called Albino when they are lacking black (Amelanistic). Albino means white so to use it to describe a coloured animal is not really accurate. However, as far as the general term goes Amels could be called albino. Black albino is a total misnomer.
disturbedstn, that snake is a nice looking Amelanistic, called Amel for short, It's lacking the gene to produce melanin, the black pigment. Amelanism is a recessive gene that if both parents have it, the babies could turn out amelanistic, if you were ever to breed it with another amel, they would have amel hatchlings. If you were breed it with a non-amel it would produce normal type babies that carry the amel gene (what breeders would call: het amel). If you breed two het amels (they would look normal, because it's not a dominant gene) you would get some normals, some normal het amel and some amel hatchlings.

How old does the snake have to be before I can see if it's male or female? Because I want to post exactly what it is in my signature but I really don't know. From what I've read on albino's there is nothing specific on what colors they lack it only states that they lack pigment. It definitely lacks back color. Also thank you Dave I think he is amazing also regardless the fact that he pooped on me last night roflmao!

Albinism means the lacking of a pigment (with melanin being the most common lacking). Amelanism is just the specific term meaning lacking melanin.

From Dictionary.com-

al·bi·no (l-bn) Pronunciation Key
n. pl. al·bi·nos
A person or animal lacking normal pigmentation, with the result being that the skin and hair are abnormally white or milky and the eyes have a pink or blue iris and a deep-red pupil.
A plant that lacks chlorophyll.
An organism exhibiting deficient pigmentation; especially : a human being who is congenitally deficient in pigment and usually has a milky or translucent skin, white or colorless hair, and eyes with pink or blue iris and deep-red pupil —compare MELANO —
a person with pale skin, light hair, pinkish eyes, and visual abnormalities resulting from a hereditary inability to produce the pigment melanin.
an animal or plant with a marked deficiency in pigmentation.

Gorgeous little amel you got there!! :santa:

For what it's worth, we have call amels "albinos" here too... :grin01:

Better call it amelanistic. :) By the way, an leucistic animal can be white but have no red eyes. The only cornsnake that comes near an albino is the blizzard but blizzard often have a little bit yellow.

Albisnim describes the lack of pigmentation. Since human beings just have melanin as a pigment, Albinism is sometimes associated with lacking the black pigment. From a scientific point of view, if an animal has more than one pigment it is not a albino if it lacks just one or a subset of its normal pigments.
Therefore it is correct to say, that an Amelanistic animal is not an Albino.

Leuzistic animals are special, cause they theoretically can produce pigments, but they miss the cells to produce them. This defect happens while the embryo is developing and the later that happens, the more pigment producing cells that are next to the central nervous system can develop. Thats the reason why leuzistic animals can have eyes from red to black.
I think in common usage, leuzistic animals are seen as something different from the whole albinism thing.

I must say, that's a pretty gorgeous little guy you have there. Typically, I don't like amels at all, but that's a nice one. 'Grats.

BlackSun said:
Better call it amelanistic. :) By the way, an leucistic animal can be white but have no red eyes. The only cornsnake that comes near an albino is the blizzard but blizzard often have a little bit yellow.

The funky thing is, leucistics can have different colored eyes. There are two types of leucistic ball pythons: black eyed and blue eyed. Weird, huh? :shrugs:

JasonGranger said:
The funky thing is, leucistics can have different colored eyes. There are two types of leucistic ball pythons: black eyed and blue eyed. Weird, huh? :shrugs:

Maybe you should read every post before answering?

Menhir said:
Leuzistic animals are special, cause they theoretically can produce pigments, but they miss the cells to produce them. This defect happens while the embryo is developing and the later that happens, the more pigment producing cells that are next to the central nervous system can develop. Thats the reason why leuzistic animals can have eyes from red to black.

Back