• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

What would be a good combination?

DrGraeme

Chiropractor
At the moment I have an Okeetee Female and a Calking female.
They are both too young to breed and that wasn't the intention when I got these 2 beauties, but having said that....:)... I might (in a few years) be keen try out a breed or two.
To all those who are way more experienced out there, are there any good combinations that would go well with the Okeetee (ie to produce interesting results)? Also maybe concidering to get one male to sevice them both and get some Jungle corns??
Thanks for your time guys and any advice would be appreciated.

Since Okeetees are either a locality snake or a selectively bred variety of normal, your best bet would be to continue along those lines. If the breeder did not specifically say your snake was a locality corn (and he/she would have most likely been very sure you understood that), then you most likely have the selectively bred variety. There are many breeders that produce some terrific Okeetee phase corns. Looking at our classifieds would be a great place to start. You may also consider a reverse Okeetee, which is the amel version of your snake, to add a little spice to the line if you decide to keep some babies and breed them together in the future.

As for getting one male to breed both your corn and your Cali king, be advised that creating hybrids isn't that easy to do and you usually need to have a pair of both species to get the job done. You could perhaps purchase a jungle corn that may service both females, but all you will get is jungle corns as offspring, but if you decide to go that route, I'm expecting 2 clutches of F2 jungle corns this year.

Thanks for the advice Susan, will keep that in mind.
(LOL.. thanks for the offer! I would if I could but I'm on the bottom end of Africa so don't know if they'll travel well).

I also really like the Bloodred and Blizzard morphs, Any ideas on what combos those might produce with the Okeetee?

Bloodred and blizzard would make normals with your Okeetee. If you kept babies back you could breed them together to make some. Okeetee is a normal like Susan said, they have black borders. So any morph you bred to her will make normals, that is unless your Okeetee carries some other genes, like amel.

Ok, great so I'm starting to understand these things a bit now.
As far as I know my Okeetee is normal without recessive trait (to be honest I didn't ask as I wasn't thinking of breeding stock then)
@Wyldrose.. so I get how normals will come out with the first pairing, so are you saying that if I keep some back and pair them again I could get a bloodred or blizzard in the second generation? In about 1:4 split?

Okeetee X Blizzard = F1 normals het amelanism and charcoal

F1 X F1 = F2's: normals, amels and/or charcoals with a 1 in 4 chance of hatching either one per egg, and /or blizzards with a 1 in 16 chance per egg...you could get screwed by one of Murphys Law's of snake breeding and get all normals or you could win Snake Lottery (just a small pot lol) and get all blizzards ;)

Last edited:
OK....
So for an interesting next generation I need to be looking for 2 corns with an interesting recessive gene/s (especially since I don't know if there's anything in the Okeetee) and run the snake lottery.

I guess the family shall be growing soon. ;-)

Just an idea, I would find the nicest Okeetee I could to pair with yours, and maybe a morph combo that has blizzard (amel and charcoal) as the hets to breed your blizzard. Since it sounds like you are interested in bloodreds I'd find a pretty bloodred het blizzard :*)

Back