• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

What's going on here?

I'm a little concerned about my heating pad. It's the Zoo Med heating pad for 20 gallon tanks. I bought my first one a little over 8 months ago. When I checked it two weeks ago it was at 67 degrees, and wouldn't budge so I figured it was broken.
Replaced it with another Zoo Med heating pad, because that is the only brand offered in my city (there are a total of two pet stores with snake supplies) and I didn't want to order one because it's the middle of winter here and .. I didn't want snakey to be cold. Today I checked it when I got home from school and it was at 67 again. I just bought it two weeks ago, and it was working fine up until today.
My question is, have I just been unlucky with heating pads lately, or could this be a dimmer problem? Has anyone had problems with dimmers before where it'll work on and off?
I have this one from Home Depot --> http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?D=971428&Ntt=971428&catalogId=10051&langId=-15&storeId=10051&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntx=mode+matchall&N=0&Ntk=P_PartNumber

So .. should I buy a new heating pad or a new dimmer?? Perhaps both .. :uhoh:

Have you tried taking the dimmer off to see what the temperature goes to? I have had many Zoo-Med under tank heaters and never had problems with them. I did try a dimmer, though, and I have to say that I wasn't impressed at all. Everything just stayed cold, despite adjusting it. I'm guessing the 67 degrees is your room temperature and the dimmer is to blame.

What sort of thermometer are you using? Could that be on the blink instead?

Does the heat mat feel at all warm to you? 67 degrees should feel pretty much stone cold if you put your hand on it. If it's even slightly warm, then that's a rough guide that it's actually nearer body temp (around 96).

I'd agree that trying the mat without the dimmer would be a good move. That would be a double-check for both the mat and the thermometer.

Some folks here haven't had much luck with dimmers as opposed to thermostats. If it turns out to be the dimmer, then you'll probaby find a stat a safer bet.

The mat was cold when I put my hand on it last night. I put the dimmer WAY up yesterday, almost to the top to see if anything would change, and the mat started working again at around 1am last night (felt slightly warm to the touch at 85 degrees). I didn't even think to try the mat without the dimmer! Thank you for reminding me to try that haha. It's working right now so I'm going to leave it and order a thermostat because I don't think it's the mat.
Does anyone have any suggestions for a good thermostat and where to order it from?

People rave about herpstats, but they are a bit pricey. I have this and I'm pretty satisfied with it.

I bookmarked the link you gave because I think I might try it. I have the ZooMed rheostat and it's been keeping my bigger ZooMed UTH's too hot even on the lowest setting possible. So I have been turning the UTH off and keeping my room hot. I have two different rheostats so I know it's not the UTH's.

I never have found the need to use any kind of dimmer and I have zoo med heat pads. They work fine when left alone. :)

Make sure you get a thermostat that you can set to a specific temperature and not one that just has hi and low.

Here in the UK I use the lowest end of the price range stats - straight on/off rather than pulse proportional. They do the job well for Corns. There are some temp flucuations when they switch on/off but not enough and not for long enough to be dangerous. I set them up to run at about 85 degrees so there's plenty of wiggle-room at the top end.

You don't have to spend big time if it's an issue.

Back