• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Whats the best way to tell a corn snakes gender?

there are a couple ways but only probing done by someone with experience can tell with the most accuracy, well other than having it lay eggs.

Some other methods include,
counting the pairs of ventral scales: generally females will have less than 70 and males more than 70, but this is not always true

the tails taper offer more rapidly in males, but again this is not always true

Popping can be done when they are young by someone with experience but this is only certain if you can get the male hemipenes to pop out, but if they don't you can't tell

Hopefully this helps.

I am going to try to do the vertral scales trick and the taper rapidly trick. But, does taper mean move, and what does vertral mean?

ventral scales are the scales on the underside of the snake between the cloaca and the tail

as for popping, I am not too sure but believe it can only be done on young snakes. I'd be careful doing it as breaking a rib is not near as difficult as you'd think.

as for taper I'll try to find you a pic or two and post it in a moment.

There is also another thread going on about it, but basicall if the snakes tail from the cloaca to the tip is like a triangle when view from below it's likely a female, if it seems as if the tail gets thing real quick it is likely a male.

this may also help, but take care in judging as some are difficult to tell apart to say the least!

tails.gif

and here is a pic defining the hind end of a snake:

300px-AB048_Scales_on_a_snakes_body.jpg

there are a couple ways but only probing done by someone with experience can tell with the most accuracy, well other than having it lay eggs.

Some other methods include,
counting the pairs of ventral scales: generally females will have less than 70 and males more than 70, but this is not always true

The ventral scales are the scales that run from the head to the vent/cloaca :)

Sexing by counting the subcaudal scales (a thread that was started by me :) ), is what I think you are refering to, and they are the pairs of tiny scales that run from the cloaca/vent to the tip of the tail :)

the tails taper offer more rapidly in males, but again this is not always true

A males tail tends to stay thicker for longer after the vent, whereas females tails tend to taper (get thinner), quicker after the vent and are usually a bit shorter than male tails :)

Hope that helps :)

There is i video that i found that demonstrates how to tell if its a male or female

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5oPJPykL30

but basically you just push up from the tale and a little down for them top, you need to be firm, but you should try not to force it, chances are if you cant get the hemipenes to show its a girl.

Sorry, but the popping shown in that link shows the procedure for popping ball pythons, not young corn snakes, and looks a whole lot rougher, and quite a bit different, than popping a corn hatchling.

Popping corns should be carried out by someone who really knows what they are doing, and can only be safely done on very young ones, or else permanent damage can be caused.

Well, I appreciate it none the less. I felt like a complete dunce after reading your posts!

This is one of the many reasons this is a great forum!

Back