• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

What's the difference between proportional and on/off thermostats?

tirevy

I know what each does, but what I'm wondering is which is technically better? What are the benefits of the proportional and the on/off thermostats? I'm looking into getting the Hydrofarm one, and it's an on/off one. I'm just curious as to which is "better".

Proportional are better as they hold a steady temp. The on off variety will fluctuate more as they are in constant flux of too much or too little heat. Hope this helps

Proportional is more accurate, and holds a steadier temperature. Does that matter to a cornsnake? Probably not. Will it matter to you? Maybe! The temp swing with an on/off thermostat drives me crazy, plus it takes a while to dial in. Like a day or two. With a proportional, you set it, it provides the temp you set. It gets it right immediately. If you want to make a minor adjustment, maybe just one degree, it's simple. You also have the option, at least with a Herpstat ND, of setting high and low alarms, which are nice- plus lots of other features a digital thermostat provides. If you can afford it, I'd get a proportional. If you can't, don't sweat it, but think about saving for one in the future.

Hey Tirevy,

"How a pulse proportional thermostat works.

The temperature is set on the dial. The cage and heater are cold so the heater is switched on to full power. Power is supplied to the heater in a cycle of pulses, the more pulses there are in a given cycle the more energy is supplied to the heater. At full power the whole of the cycle is taken up by pulses. As the temperature in the cage nears the set temperature the unit cuts the power to the heater down to fewer pulses per cycle. The amount of pulses per cycle is dependent on the set temperature.

At the set temperature the amount of pulses in the cycle will exactly match the amount of energy needed by the heater to maintain the heater at that value. The heater is neither on nor off but supplied with the appropriate amount of power it needs to do its job. Should the cage become warmer or cooler the sensor will detect the change and adjust the amount of power to correspond to the new situation."

Stolen from -- HabiStat Pulse Proportional Thermostat

Now a ON/OFF T-stat goes on and off. If the setpoint is 85 degrees with a differentionial of 10 degrees then when the probe gets to 80 degrees the heater comes ON and when the temp gets to 90 degrees the heater goes OFF. Most T-stats do not have that big of a differential like your home T-stat operates on a 2 degree differential. Hope this helps.

Love the Fatman

If it helps, I've always used on/off stats and have never had a problem. Corns are very tolerant of temp fluctuations within their safe range.

However, as Nanci says, you might have a preference. I think that's probably all you need to worry about. Either a proportional or on/off stat will do a fine job for a Corn. It's really down to which one you feel more comfortable using, and/or which one you can best afford.

Thanks for the great info. As a new keeper this is the sort of stuff they never tell you about in books or on "care sheets".

Back