• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

What's the difference between....

babbaloo99

I am pretty novice when it comes to understanding the different morphs so I have a few questions if anyone can help, just out of curiosity.

How can you visually tell the difference between an Okeetee and some normals? I see some that have similar reds and thick black borders but don't know exactly how they differ.

I also have the same trouble understanding the difference between some reverse Okeetees and some amels with similar patterns/colors, as well as some amels and creamsicles or butters. (Maybe I just can't tell very well in pictures on my computer).

I am just curious, not quite to the point of buying a book on morphs, but maybe someday!

Ahh but alas Pandora's corn snake cage has been opened yet again....

Okeetee corns are essentially 'genetic' Normals that show certain traits such as very bright red and orange colors, very broad black borders around their saddles and clean black and white checkering on their bellies.

The original Okeetees came from Jasper County, SC at a place called, The Okeetee Hunt Club. The name Okeetee was given to them by the famous snake collector and writer Carl Kauffeld. Corns were originally collected at the Hunt Club because, as Kauffeld pointed out, they had a tendency to display the above mentioned traits which are quite stunning.

Often these Hunt Club Okeetees are referred to as, "Locality Okeetees". Other (non locality) Okeetees are often referred to as, "Okeetee Phase" corns or, as I like to say, "Look-eetees".

Folks like Chip Bridges (aka elrojo) still collect from the hunt club and are trying to keep the Locality Okeetee blood lines clean. Kathy Love too has a locality bloodline but also has what she calls the "classic corn" which has the above mentioned Okeetee traits but has been mixed with other non locality corns to bring out the same beauty that one sees in the best of the Locality stock.

Normal v. Okeetee? Okeetee Locality v. Okeetee phase (Look-eetees)? :argue:

If anything I have stated is incorrect or controversial then I'm certain I will be verbally slapped by the more senior of our guild. There's no doubt in my mind that my punishment will be swift and clean. :awcrap:

Cheers,
Jason

I live 45 minutes from Jasper County. :crazy01: *puts on Snake Huntin' boots*

Well stated Neumann!

I have read the posts on the Okeetee issue and they are numerious and long. Sometimes you really just want to tell people to relax. But it is good to see some true passion in life. Even if it is over a snake that may or may not cross over a county line.

babbaloo99,

His explination of "Okeetee phase" holds true for other phases like miami. The miami phase corn has a certain look similar to those corns found in the miami area. Grey or tan background with a nice red saddle. You can cook dinner every day for three years and that doesn't make you a chef. Just because a corn snake is from miami doesn't make it a miami phase

As far as the reverse okeetee and the amel question..... This is a bit tricky to identify. I would venture to say that the reverse okeetee has larger white boarders in with the red and orange with an emphasis on the bright orange color. Rich Z at serpenco has this printed on his web site when speaking of the florescent orange "This year I have combined the lines of the Amelanistic Okeetee with the Fluorescent Oranges. They are so similar looking that there is little reason to continue offering both of them." As I understand it, His florescent orange came from "normal phase" amel's. There were a few that looked a little off, and he held them back and selective bred them to each other and got this florescent orange..... And it just so happens that they look very similar to a reverse okeetee. So.... if you mated one of these "florescent orange" snakes to a[n okeetee would you get an okeetee phase? I don't know, but I would imagine that you would. With this logic you could breed two "normals" and get an okeetee. I think Darwin would agree with that.

Now the cremecicles. As you know, these are not pure corns. They are beautiful. And the good specamines hold true to their name. You will see an orange fla-vor-ice with some cream. They are emory rat snake and corn snake mix and they are pretty (but I don't think I will own any). These make great gifts for UT fans.

The butters should be very strong on the yellow. No red and really not much white. Just creamy shades of yellow. I guess that if it has thick white borders you could call it a reverse okeetee butter.

My advise is to really go the the pages at www.serpenco.com and www.conrsnakes.net and study and read about the morphs. You will catch on and learn alot about it.

A good rule of thumb for purchasing is that, "If it is being sold as an okeetee and you can't understand why.... dont buy it!" You don't want to pay more for a snakes that is called a reversee Okeetee when it looks like a vanilla Amel to you.

Happy herpin',
Aaron

Thanks much for the time spent answering my questions. That has been very helpful. I will "study" more on the sites mentioned. I am just more curious than anything. I just sometimes find myself thinking I finally know the difference between some of the more common morphs and then I realize just how much more there is to learn. I've read Kathy's book too and that has helped. Heaven forbid I dream about understaning all the genetic issues behind them all!

Thanks again!:)

Back