• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

whats the real physical difference

grdn1014

between charcoals and pewters. i know pewters are charcoal+bloodred but sometimes they both look the same to me :sidestep: lol

ive seen some pewters with a purple/red hue to them, but ive also seen some that look just like charcoals

The telltale difference in the influence of the diffusion ("bloodred") gene is to look at the belly - there'll be no checkers. After that, look at the sides of the saddles; if they are "broken up", that would be the pewter in the crowd.

Below you'll see pics of my female charcoal, Snake Mary (first two), and my male pewter, Odysseus (last two). The difference is evident.

Hope this helps.

regards,
jazz

Attachments

• Mary071906-1.jpg
    Mary071906-1.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 100
  • Mary071906-2.jpg
    Mary071906-2.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 101
  • Odysseus071906-2.jpg
    Odysseus071906-2.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 100
  • Odysseus092006-1.jpg
    Odysseus092006-1.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 101
jazz both of those snakes are gorgeous! i recently purchased a normal het pewter girl for next season, im excited :)

grdn1014 said:
jazz both of those snakes are gorgeous! i recently purchased a normal het pewter girl for next season, im excited :)
LOL !!!! You'll be REAL happy to know this then!!!

If I'm not mistaken, your normal het pewter girl was purchased from Lore; if this is the case (her snake "Seven"), the charcoal in the first two pictures is your snake's full sister and clutchmate.

They were originally bred by Michelle Heart ("Devilznight") of Creatures Of The Night, and I got in on two of the snakes from that clutch; a charcoal het bloodred, and a normal het pewter, like yours. Included from that same purchase is the pewter from my prior post; while purchased from Michelle, the pewter was originally bred by Rich at Serpenco.

Anyhow, here's the other sister to your snake, "Bubbles", my normal het pewter - these were taken on September 20th (and she's grown quite a bit since then.....she just scarfed down two hoppers this morning).

regards,
jazz

Attachments

• Bubbles092606-2.jpg
    Bubbles092606-2.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 96
  • Bubbles092606-5.jpg
    Bubbles092606-5.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 94
hah yep your correct.

ive just started cutting Seven's hoppers to give her a little head start on weight gain for next season :)

cheers and thanks for the info!

Beef Seven up Gordon and get some photos up. Feeding on cut hoppers her growth will really take off, I look forward to keeping track of her :cheers:

just curious if she was kept in a rack or a glass viv? cuz i had her in that glass tank i got from you and she would always hide-- a bit more often then new snakes do. now i just moved most of my older corns to a rack system and her along with all my others absolutely love it. they cruise around a lot more to the front of the tubs and are a lot more energetic when it comes to handling and feeding :)

grdn1014 said:
between charcoals and pewters. i know pewters are charcoal+bloodred but sometimes they both look the same to me :sidestep: lol

ive seen some pewters with a purple/red hue to them, but ive also seen some that look just like charcoals
. . . One other thing to add to what Dale already said is that the reason some Pewters don't look too different from Charcoals is the affect the Diffusion has. In my opinion, an "ideal" Pewter would be as close to completely gray as possible with the saddles becoming indistinguishable (much the same way my "ideal" bloodred is all red with 'no saddles').

You will see some 'Pewters' with pretty good color, clear bellies, side diffusion, etc. but their saddles are very distinquishable from the background color. :shrugs: Same with Bloodreds. And there begins the crux of the Diffusion vs. Bloodred debate. :grin01:

D80

Back