• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

whats wrong with some snake owners??

ninasnake

I went on youtube and looked at corns, pythons etc....
Well.... so many people post videos of their snakes ( especialy big snakes) eating live rats, bunnies etc.

I dont know... who am I to judge them but I am disgusted how some people clearly enjoy filming and seeing a domesticated animal that does not even try to run away, get killed.

just a rant...

There is no thrill in watching that I agree. Yes, some snakes won't do the switch to F/T and it becomes part of life feeding a live feeder; however why post it publicly?? I dunno!! :headbang:
I know in my business I will not sell any snake who has not done the switch to F/T as there is no need to continue feeding live if you don't have to. Not too mention the damage the food can cause for the snake. Some don't realize that and look too much into 'what a thrill it is to watch a snake eat something live'. I've turned people away that want a snake that eats live food only or even had one tell me he would switch the snake over to live. Good business practise? I feel it is the best choice I can make for the snake's sake. Maybe some disagree with my thought process but generally it is very obvious to see those that are looking for the 'thrill of the kill' type of pet and I choose not to put my animal in that situation. So I keep the snake and look for another owner.
I understand the flip side as well, I do have a couple (go figure...lol) ball pythons that no matter how hard I try, I cannot get them past fresh killed yet but I am past the live feed, which is one step closer.

Just my 2 cents.

I dont want to be the sick puppy of the group, but i think it is interesting to see a snake eat live. Not so much a live item in captivity, but to see a snake take a prey item in the wild. I think that this is the way a snake survives, and not taking interest in a snakes ability to kill and eat their prey is almost not being interested in a "real" snake. I dont want to get cut down for my opinion here, i feed f/t and would never feed live because of the potential dangers of it. And im not saying that a snake that only eats f/t is't a real snake either. I agree that someone feeding live rabbits to their big python so that they can hear it squeal is pretty sick, but if feeding live is the only way to get your snake to eat, then so be it. Just my honest two cents.

I'll be a sick puppy, too, and agree that I do take interest in watching a snake kill and consume its prey BUT I am much more interested in keeping my animals unharmed by their dinners. I have animals that prefer live over f/t, but I won't just toss a live mouse or rat in with one of my snakes. I'll at least stun the thing beforehand to avoid bites. I think this is the easiest way for me to wean these snakes off live and onto prekilled and then to f/t.

I think too many snake owners (new and old alike) get a thrill from the shock and/or disgust that come from people who don't own snakes that view these videos. I've seen more than a few videos on YouTube dealing with feeding a pet reptile that have turned my stomach. All you can do is keep flagging them when you encounter one and hope it gets pulled so no one else sees it and encourages the poster to continue putting animals in jeopardy for the entertainment value on the net.

Errr... That was supposed to read "discourages the poster from continuing to put animals in jeopardy for the entertainment value on the net."

There's a huge difference between your case, being interested in the natural aspect of watching a snake do what they have evolved to do, and posting it on youtube (very often with punk or metal soundtrack).

Not that it means much, but I definitely don't see you as a "sick puppy". Most of the youtube snake feedings OTOH are just snuff videos, and IMHO are a disgrace to the hobby.

I love love love all animals. My second choice for a pet other than a corn was a dumbo rat. But I think a corn would be something new for me so I want one.

I see no thrill in watching an animal that has no chance of running and escaping being killed. I can easily watching something on animal planet where there's a cheetah attacking an antelope and bringing it down, that's easy for me because that's nature taking it's place and the antelope had a fair chance at life.

But putting a live animal in a box and watching your snake attack it seems silly to me, I understand that some people have to feed live or prefer it, but when you get joy or entertainment out of watching it, that's screwed up.

I'm going to feed my snake f/t not only because it's more available but because I have too much of a heart to throw a little mouse in there and watch it struggle for life when I know I could've prevented it.

I have a snake in one room and a hamster in another one. My poor hamster is on his death bed... I had him for 3 years and it is time to go...

I would not be able to feed live to snakes on regular basis. Maybe if my snake completly refused to eat. But when I got him I knew that he eats frozen, always have. Both for the snakes safety and for humanitarian reasons.

I like animals and it would break my heart to feed live rats to snakes. I know, nature etc but still I am not into snuff.
Watching an anaconda or a python attack in the wild is fascinating. Watching a python with a pet bunny in cage is not.

It is "people" like these youtubers that will make it virtually impossible for snakes to be viewed as mainstream pets.

Look, ignore the YouTube community as far as pets go. The only good thing I have seen on YouTube about snakes are the Expert Village videos, but they are not very helpful as some of their information is false.

My biggest issue with YT and pets is those _____ vs. ______, which often pair insects to fight against each other, and even larger animals sometimes are put head-to-head. These people on YT are inconsiderate, immature people who think that just for the sake of entertainment they can treat animals cruelly.

With people feeding their snakes, some of the videos are fine, and are just people trying to show off their snake. I have even seen some videos that seem to be like progression threads here, where an owner is just taping their snake growing over time. But, there is a darker motive for some people, and that is to show off not their snake, but a dieing animal's struggle to live as their snake kills it.

Basically, there are some cruel people out there, and you just have to ignore them. People can't enjoy animals, and more specifically, snakes, for their wonderful properties, but instead they treat them as objects to show off online and in general.

Back