• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

What's wrong with their heads?

rusticreptiles

Hey...I've been looking at pics of other people's amel hatchlings and their heads don't have these white markings. Are they signs that they were premature? Will this go away? They are all fiesty and great eaters, just don't know what caused this. These are the siblings to the one that has the overbite (snake with an "underbite" post - I got the over/under wrong), so I'm wondering if it was a bad pairing or something that went wrong in developement. They were 78 days in the incubator at 78-80 degrees. One hatched and had an opened abdominal cavity. I didn't inspect the babies at hatching, just gently put them in their individual showboxes and let them be.
I noticed the next morning that one hatchling had all the yolk hanging out of him. So I put extra moisture ( I had them on lightly damp paper towels) on the paper towels and the yolk since it was still attached. The next morning the baby was dead and no longer attached to the yolk. There was a pencil eraser sized hole where the yolk had come out. :( I had such a crummy start and now even the few babies that hatched aren't quite right.
Any thoughts? Thanks for looking.
First 3 pics are the amels - white "skin" on heads? The last pic is of the overbite sibling. Her head top looks fine though.
Also, #4 has a "mask" and seems much more vibrant thatn her siblings. Other than diffused or masque (which I don't think either parents have), could this be something or just her unique look? Parents are an Amel male (no known hets) and a Lavender het amel & hypo female.
Thanks again.

Attachments

• baby#1shrunk.JPG
    baby#1shrunk.JPG
    153.6 KB · Views: 190
  • baby#3shrunk.JPG
    baby#3shrunk.JPG
    165.2 KB · Views: 190
  • Baby#4shrunk.JPG
    Baby#4shrunk.JPG
    157 KB · Views: 190
  • DSC04501.JPG
    DSC04501.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 190
Well, the missing scales on the heads is somewhat common. it doesn't hurt anything.

010210pics001.jpg

He has the same thing, and at 7 yrs old it hasn't ever been an issue; his sibling sisters (the ones that I have) both don't have this "missing scale". I always thought it was just a spot where the scales didn't "connect" moreso than a missing scale

The over bite may go away as he progresses. The missing scales happen, like Nanci said. IMO as long as they are eating they're fine. If the over bite doesn't go away on the one I would just either keep or sell him as a nice pet. :)

Next time you could try incubating at a little warmer temps (82) and see if it makes any difference!

I will! Incubation seemed to take forever so I'm going to increase the temps a bit. Do you think that is a reason why the scales didn't connect?

Thanks to everyone for relieving my fears. So in some it resolves itself and obviously in others it doesn't. I guess I shall have to wait and see. Chris68 what morph is your snake?
He is gorgeous. I wanted to guess Xanthic Snow...but I'm not good at guessing.

The overbite girl was already in another post, I just showed her to show that all the babies in the clutch were not "normal". She is definately going to be a pet only. :)

I'm not sure if that is the reason why, I've only hatched one clutch before and they were 61 days in the incubator.
I have not read the other post, I will go look :)

I will! Incubation seemed to take forever so I'm going to increase the temps a bit. Do you think that is a reason why the scales didn't connect?

Many babies have been born just fine, perfect in every way, at cooler temps. Thus, I do not believe that the cooler incubation temps is the reason.

Thanks. I had thought I read somewhere that cooler temps gives you less a chance of premature babies and kinking? Or does it not really matter and it's just the higher temps that gives you a greater chance of kinking?

Back