• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

What's wrong with these eggs?

SnakeNutt

This morning, I found that two of my females were double-clutching. I watched both females lay the last eggs of these clutches, so the photos below are of VERY freshly laid eggs.

One female laid a clutch of 11 eggs; the other laid a clutch of 6 eggs, 2 of which are clearly slugs (darker in color and slimy/wet feeling). The 11 eggs in the top left grouping are from one clutch; the four eggs on the lower right, along with the two slugs at the very bottom, are from the other clutch.

The eggs look different from both females' first clutches, which were completely normal (haven't hatched yet -- laid 5/19 and 5/20 -- but still look great). These new eggs (1) didn't stick together, although they were laid right next to each other, (2) feel dryish, unlike slugs and (3) have "pebbly" surfaces. Also, some have pinkish blotches, sorta veiny looking, and all seem much thinner shelled than regular eggs.

These are the things these females have in common:
1) A few days after laying their first clutches but before either had gone through post-lay sheds, I exposed both to 90-degree ambient temps for about 3-1/2 hours, in hopes of killing off any retained sperm from their first breedings (I wanted to breed both to a different male). I chose to expose them to heat before their post-lay sheds because I did not want to harm any follicles that might be present when they re-ovulated.
2) I bred both right after their post-lay sheds.
3) I bred both to the same male, who has not bred before this year.

Since the egg shells seem too thin, did I rebreed the females too soon after their first clutches, before they had enough time to replenish their supplies of calcium? These eggs were laid about 7-1/2 weeks after the first clutches.

Do these eggs look viable? I intend to incubate them, regardless, but I don't feel too hopeful. Has anyone had eggs like this that hatched OK?

Attachments

• Bothsets1.jpg
    Bothsets1.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 137
  • Eggs1x.jpg
    Eggs1x.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 137
  • Eggs2x.jpg
    Eggs2x.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 136
  • Eggs3x.jpg
    Eggs3x.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 133
  • eggs4x.jpg
    eggs4x.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 133
I've had eggs with those pebbly star marking on them hatch out without problems.

Also had eggs with the transparent window type effect you have there hatch as well, again, no problems.

I'd be inclined to do the same as you. Incubate them and hope for the best. The first lot look like the better of the two.

Good luck with them!

My-my, they are ugly ones aren't they!!!

I've never seen them quite like that but I do know that healthy hatchlings have hatched out of some of the ugliest eggs. I say incubate them and hope for the best.

A lot of my eggs that are newly laid have that pinkish look to them... but as they sit in the air, they tend to go "white"..... I've never thought about how much eggs adhere to one another ... perhaps the little calcium stars cause them to be less "glue-ey"...

It's one of those things where even if people said "Yup, doomed" .... you'd still incubate them.

I look forward to hearing the result in a couple of months.

(They look better than my surprise second clutch!)

similar happening...

I too had eggs like that this year, cept the first batch I threw them all out, thinking surely, such odd looking eggs are no good...then my Snow laid a batch that looked like that, and I thought...let's incubate and see what happens...OOPS! They are still incubating just fine...and I THREW OUT a whole batch of ghost corns!!!!!!!! Argh! Oh well, live and learn! My eggs looked like in the first picture, the set of them in the lower right corner. Sure looked odd! Nothing like the bold white the rest of my snakes were laying.
Russell

I appreciate all your responses so far. I figure, at this point, that the eggs are "good" (and I've already set them up for incubation), but I'm concerned about the pebby appearance and what that means. I'm especially curious as to why two females laid the same looking type of eggs on the exact same day, at the exact same time. Is the problem more likely with my male, or did I rebreed the females too soon after their first clutches? These eggs look very different from any others I've had this year, and interestingly I've had two other 2nd clutches this year that looked perfectly fine. So, I'm wondering what the common denominator with these last two clutches is.

Also, if the shells don't have enough calcium (is that what the pebbly appearance indicates?), does that mean the embryos inside are also missing some vital nutrient? Those of you who've had eggs like this actually go on to hatch, were the babies OK?

I'm asking because these eggs are clearly not "normal," although they may be viable, and I want to know if I did something wrong (like rebreed the females too soon after 1st clutches), so that I can avoid it in the future.

The babies from my pebbly eggs this year have been fine. In fact, I'll go further, the best I've ever had. All hatched, all eating first time, all doing well on all fronts.

:)

I've had clutches like those before and they have hatched just fine. I've tried to find a rhyme or reason to it in my group, but haven't been able to. The logical answer that intuitively you would suspect to be the problem is just the mom's not having the same calcium stores for their second clutches and not laying down enough. Those pebbles I've seen in varieties up to very cool snow flakes and stars.

Here are a couple snowflake threads with pics I've posted, so I don't repeat myself...

from 2002 - http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1007

from 2005 - http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19148

I have a clutch of 10 eggs laid on 5/29/05 and am waiting for them to hatch. They have star markings on them too, but are growing and looking good. It's my first time breeding and they're from a young anery, her first clutch and the first from the young male too. I don't think their diets have been deficient - they are both good eaters and fed weekly.

I'm at work at present and only have this photo which is not very clear - you may be able to see the egg on its own looks a bit pink - this was taken the day they were laid. I have more at home which may show the star marks - in fact I did post a pic further down the board a few weeks ago - "star marks on eggs" - and had some similarly helpful responses. Anyway, of course I don't know if they'll hatch and get terrified by people's stories of perfect white eggs going bad on day 75 etc, but they look good so far and the pinkish one now looks white. :)

Attachments

• henri's eggs 29.5.05.jpg
    henri's eggs 29.5.05.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 116
Ya I don't think it really matters how soon you bred them after their shed, they just hang on to the sperm until the time is right anyway. It's just one of those things. I have also had eggs like that hatch, but one thing you do have to be extra careful with is excess moisture. These thin shelled eggs are very easily damaged by incubation medium that is too wet.

carol said:
one thing you do have to be extra careful with is excess moisture. These thin shelled eggs are very easily damaged by incubation medium that is too wet.

I sorta figured as much, so when I put them in their incubation container, I made sure the moss was only damp, and I fluffed it up around them more than usual. I'll be keeping a careful eye on them, that's for sure.

Thanks, again, to everyone who replied. The link to your earlier 2005 thread, Connie, was especially helpful and reassuring.

I'll post updates later, if/when the eggs develop problems or hatch.

Back