• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

When do I change mouse size?

zombieinvasiontm

When I fed Bitti one pinkie, the lump didn't last for more than 15 hours so I bumped her up to 2 pinkies for the
last feed and the lump stayed for 36-40 hours and she seemed happy about the feeding change.

Well, I didn't have time to run to the store to get any Artic pinkies. However, my friend had an extra
frozen fuzzy that was about the size of two pinkies. Of course, Bitti couldn't fit the entire fuzzie in her mouth, so I cut of the
head and cut it in half.

She loved it. Absolutely loved it, seemed to half the most fun dragging the halfs across the napkin to make
everything look bloody and gross.
My mom threw up though. Hilarious.

Umm...the whole point of me writing this, is to know whether I should continue to buy pinkies or just continue to get fuzzies and cut them in half until she can fit a whole one in her mouth?

Oh, and the head never goes to waste. My brothers snake, Gerard, loved it when I took the brains and skin and added it on to his pinkie.....

If you don't seen a noticeable lump after you feed your snake it's time to move to move up to a larger meal. The general rule of thumb is that you feed your snake an food item that is no larger than 1 1/2 time the snakes girth.
Most feed two food items for a few feeding then move up to the next size.
(one pinky, then two pinkys then a fuzzy then two etc etc.)

Yeah, I feed a prey size until the lump is barely noticble, then move up to the next size. The only prey I feed two if are pinkies. I will feed one pinky, then two pinkies, then one fuzzy, then one hopper, etc.

You'd be surprised at what they can fit their mouth around. Their jaw will "unhinge" and they can stretch their jaws around prey much larger than you would think.

If the fuzzies are smaller than 1.5 times her widest point, she should be able to eat them without chopping them up.

Also, you might want to search out a new source of mice as the "Arctic mice" sold by PetSmart or Petco are ridiculously expensive. Find a local feeder breeder, go to a reptile show or find a pet shop that specializes in reptiles. Any one of those sources should be significantly cheaper than Arctic mice.

Flagg said:
You'd be surprised at what they can fit their mouth around. Their jaw will "unhinge" and they can stretch their jaws around prey much larger than you would think.

If the fuzzies are smaller than 1.5 times her widest point, she should be able to eat them without chopping them up.

Also, you might want to search out a new source of mice as the "Arctic mice" sold by PetSmart or Petco are ridiculously expensive. Find a local feeder breeder, go to a reptile show or find a pet shop that specializes in reptiles. Any one of those sources should be significantly cheaper than Arctic mice.

Thanks so much :D

Not that everyone else wasn't help.
Ya'll are great :]

Back