• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

When next to feed

randj

Hi Guys, I have written about the details on another thread. We adopted our (first) 8 yr old corn snake in Sept 2011, he ate well until near the end of Oct, then was not interested in eating again until mid Nov. I am thinking it was due to a combination of not having worked the bugs out of maintaining the ideal temperature, plus the decreasing light in our part of the world that time of year. He had a vet check-up in early Dec, no health problems found. He ate again Dec 13, then went blue just before his next feeding was due and did not show an interest while preparing to shed. He shed 2 days ago and ate last night. Given the fairly long stretch without eating very much, when do you think we should offer food again? Ordinarly we would feed again in 10 days. Do you think we should feed in 7 days or stick with 10? Would like to get him on a regular schedule. Currently no scale at home, but it occurs to me I can borrow one from work overnight later this week. I know his weight from the time of his vet check. What about if his weight is the same as at the vet check we go with 10 days for next feed, and if he has lost weight, go with 7 days? Does this sound OK?

Does he seem thin to you? This is why I like to weigh snakes at every feeding; then you can see how he is trending. If he was gaining weight until he went on strike, then I would just continue the same schedule. If he was only maintaining, and then lost weight, I'd feed at a shorter interval.

Back