• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

When They Hatch...

richm2778

Just curious. I am a few weeks out from the hatch date, and I already have a reputable pet store that told me they want to buy the babies. That said, can I keep the babies in a container all together, or do I have to separate them? Also, can I just bring them in as soon as they are born, or do I need to keep them for a few days for some reason or other? I know a lot of breeders like to ensure that they eat. I understand the concern, but Underground Reptiles is much more experienced at sexing and caring for the hatchlings then I am. I think it would be a bit safer for the babies to get them there as soon as possible. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Rich

Generally it is considered unethical to sell babies that have not eaten a meal or two. The main reason being that not all babies will eat. A non-eater is of no value to you or the pet store. They could not sell it in good faith either.

The exception to that would be for you to go to the pet store and tell them you don’t feel confident about caring for and feeding them. They may agree to buy them right out of the egg, but then they very likely would want a reduced price as they are now taking the risk of getting non-feeders.

I agree with Wade. But if someone is made fully aware that they aren't established feeders, and the still want to buy them then I see no problem with that. For instance, Rich usually has is 50% out of the eggs sale. You get a 50% discount in return for a snake that isn't established. So there is some gamble there.

But if they feel they can handle it, and you feel they can, then if you can work out a good price go for it.

OK. Well, just for my own info, I am about to have some baby Leucistic Texas Rat Snakes. I know the stores sell them for about $80 or so. How much should I expect as an offer for established feeders, and for non-established (out of egg) babies? I do not want to sell someone a snake that will not eat, nor do I want to essentially rip off the store. I like the guys in there, and they are always good to me. I am hopeful that all the babies will eat and be healthy. Obviously, I would feel horrible if someone purchased a baby and it died quickly because of refusal to eat.

I would feel horrible if someone purchased a baby and it died quickly because of refusal to eat.
I wouldn't expect the store to sell them on to anyone as non-feeders. Once they've knowingly taken them on as not yet established, then it's their responsibility to make sure they are, before passing them on to their new owners.

Back