• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

When to breed them

xKGLVRx

I just bought a female snow who is a proven breeder. My male okeetee is about 2 yeras old. How do I know when to breed them? Is it just a guessing game? Is it to late in the season to do it now? Very curious! Thank you

Let nature dictate a little here.

Keep them appart for the rest of the year and then brumate them over december and january. Warm them up again in feb and after the female has shed, put them together. This period of time also lets you quarantine your new female.

so if i have 2 tank mates that are male n female they should be seperated now?

they've been together forever, she's already layed once, but the previous owner didn't know how to handle the situation......

are they less likely to breed while they live together?

I don't think they're necessarily less likely to breed because they live together. I thought they needed to be brumated and then introduced to breed, but discovered this spring that that is not the case when my male and female who were housed together produced ten eggs! All of them hatched but I've now separated the male and female as I don't need any more eggs/babies at the moment!

A lot of people feel that snakes should be housed individually unless breeding is being attempted, because of snakes being solitary animals in the wild and occasional reports of cannibalism etc. Personally I feel that if this female has just laid her first clutch, she should be separated from the male until next spring. Double clutching is hard on a female at the best of times and normally shouldn't be attempted with a first time female.

Jessica :)

I keep some of my adults together in single sex groups once I've observed them long enough to know they have an easy going personality and can make the cohabitation thing work. Others I always keep alone unless they're breeding.

Any new snake you bring into your collection, whether your collection is 2 animals or 200, should be quarantined for at least 2 months and perhaps if you're being thorough, you should have a fecal exam done to chack for paracites.

In my opinion, photoperiod has a lot to do with when the snakes breed. I would expect the female to be keyed into the summer part of the photoperiod, which is past breeding season. I'd shoot for breeding next spring.

You don't HAVE to brumate to have successful breeding, just so you know. As to your question, I would suggest waiting till next spring at this point, but it's ultimately up to you. At 2 years, he could be old enough, but might be better off giving him a little more time to get ready (as well as the quarantine period). Especially if the female is much bigger. Won't always stop the guys, but some can be a little intimdated by a significantly larger female.

Back