• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

When to switch to double pinks?

amanda007

Read, read, read!
Right, I know that after the snake gets to about 15g you want to do double pinks instead of just one. But I do not have a scale that will weigh that little accurately, and I don't have $40 to go buy a digital from WalMart (really bad selection of those here in El Paso). So can anyone give me a GENERAL way to tell? She's 4 months old, about 14" long, eats one pink every 5 days, and has grown really steadily since we got her in Oct.

I would stick with one for another 2 months at least personally you don't need them to grow to fast or risk a regurge. If your feeding small pinks you may go to large pinks though every 5-7 days:)

At four months, I'm up to peach fuzzies on most of mine. Without seeing or knowing the weight of the snake, it's impossible to tell, but except with real worms, I would have been on double pinks a month ago, and moved up since. How long does one pink leave a noticeable lump? If it's gone in 12 hours, you are very ready to move up.

Well until the last feed she would hide for at least 48 hours. Last time she only hid for 24 hours....so we'll see if she continues that, and if so I'll try two pinks. I just really don't want to overfeed her and make her regurge.

Well until the last feed she would hide for at least 48 hours. Last time she only hid for 24 hours....so we'll see if she continues that, and if so I'll try two pinks. I just really don't want to overfeed her and make her regurge.

Hi Amanda,
So, right before I got my scale (btw, I got it cheap on ebay, if you want the link to it, just let me know. only $16 shipped!) I was suspecting it was time for my little anery to move up to double pinks, but I couldn't weigh her. But, she was displaying behavior that made me think she needed more food. She would only hide for 12-24 hours, and the lump would be gone so fast. Lo and behold, when I got my scale, she was right in the weight range to move up to double pinks.

My point ( ;) ) is that I think you can tell it is time, if you're snake continues to hide for less time after eating.

If you are nervous, try slitting the skin on the backs of both pinks. I was really nervous about feeding the hatchling I got from Terri (crackerhead) because he seemed so tiny (he was actually 10g, but he just looked....so... small...) and her advice was, "Slit the back and keep him WARM." So I'll pass that along. :)

You can also do one and a half pinks for a few meals or just go with two small slitted ones. I am overly cautious because when i got my first corns he was well over 15 grams and regurged on two small pinks- it was scary:)

Back