• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

where can i buy corn snakes in georgia?

Punk

after having to rehome my lavender due to issues with the snake im looking for anyone that breeds cornsnakes in the savannah GA area. Im aware that corn snakes are illegal to own in GA, However I am from Florida and the little guys are huge there and are almost sold at every pet store. Not to mention the corn snakes there are pretty cheap as well

Pretty sure you just answered your own question. Since they are illegal to own there you won't find anybody selling them and most breeders won't ship there either.

:/ well that's lame, looks like ill be taking a trip back to florida to see the family soon. I was hoping there were at least a few breeders on the DL around here. I know the reptile expos that come through sometimes have a few but never the excessive ammounts as the florida shows do. Now im really starting to miss fl

That would REALLY piss me off if I sold a snake unknowingly to someone who was keeping it illegally. Yes, it's a stupid law. But while you live in the state, you might want to abide by the rules. Fish and Wildlife is NOTHING to mess around with. And I'm sure you're thinking, well, how would I ever get caught, and the answer is, you post pics on line, someone turns you in. Law enforcement is called to your home for some other reason, even an innocent reason, and they turn you in. For example, someone I know, on their child's urging, brought home a wild-caught snake, and is now under threat of a $20,000 fine and/or a year in prison. And F&W LOVES to make examples of people, even for something seemingly harmful to no one. Better safe than sorry.

Thanks Nanci, it just seems like a ridiculous law especially for someone that was raised in florida :/ but I guess its reasonable

I just wish florida had more rules and regulations concerning the species of snakes kept by hobbyists especially with the snakes that get over 8 feet

How could Florida have more rules? You already have to have a special permit to keep the large snakes. And venomous. And the few native snakes that are protected. Now what I think would be beneficial to the snake species but is against the law would be to allow people to keep captive-bred Indigos. If you can produce paperwork proving that your Indigo was captive-bred- that would take pressure off the wild population. Plus, there would be lots more being bred for potential release/repopulation, which is going on in a very limited fashion right now. Also- allow people to adopt displaced gophers, with a program similar to what western states do with desert torts. It's virtually impossible to relocate them- why not let people enjoy them.

theres definitely no rules or regulations going on in Orlando concerning the snakes that reach 8 feet and up :/ literally saw three kids come in and purchase a baby Burmese python for 90 dollars at a well known exotic pet store. I also was able to purchase my own boa without a permit, luckily im not insane enough to purchase a female - not to mention the varanids I used to own a bunch of monitor lizards including a Asian water monitor and argus, as well as a savannah and b and white tegu and there were never any permit requirements even concerning these guys I just think its ridiculous that theres no laws on these animals in florida yet theres laws regarding corn snakes in ga? I do know however that you absolutely must have a permit for a reticulated python in florida though.

I am originally from GA and yes the law is stupid but I agree with Nanci. What if you needed to take it to the vet? That would put the vet in a compromising position even if you took it to a vet in FL. There have been a few efforts in the GA legislature to allow captive bred corn snakes but they fizzled. Their intention wasn't to ban quad mutant captive bred corn snakes that pose no threat and probably would get eaten by a bird in less than 24 hours, but the language didn't make exceptions. You could write your representative and frame it as an economic issue and give some stats about the $$$ the snake trade supposedly generates.

I grew up in the mountains of northeast GA and used to catch local herps all the time. Only caught a couple corn snakes, but caught dozens of others such as the adorable ring necks and feisty black rats (oh, the memories of getting the crap bit out of me when I was in elementary school!). Also found several venomous ones including a beautiful coral snake in the woods behind my house, but obviously didn't handle those. My parents encouraged me, but I'm not sure what they were thinking letting a 6 year old catch all sorts of snakes! Of course, even touching the native nonvenomous snakes is illegal now. However, I don't think it was illegal until maybe 94 or 95, although that didn't stop me because I didn't know it was illegal! By the time I knew, I was living in the city and too busy to go herping anyway.

Do you have any other pet snakes? There are plenty of pretty colubrids that you could own, like any brooks king morph or a lavender snow cal king.

Good point about the possible vet visit. I have a friend who moved from Florida to Georgia with sugar gliders, and of course one became ill there, which caused some problems.

you guys make some valid points, as it would be devastating if the snake were to fall ill (the lavender corn snake in my signature has since been sold so I no longer have him); however if I were to have a corn, I would have no problem driving to florida for a vet visit its a two hour drive to Jacksonville, but then again if the snake is extremely ill those two hours could be detrimental to its health, thanks guys!

trust me it's not worth the risk to keep them in GA a friend found a really nice looking FL kingsnake and took it back to GA with him someone told DNR he had it they took the snake and he got a ticket....i know people who have been stopped for speeding and had cops call DNR out once they found out they had reptiles in the car only took a few hours of talking before there were free to go just some things to think about....as for FL and keeping large snakes the only thing that law has done is keep them out of peoples hands who have no business owning them you can still own large snakes in fl if your willing to do the paperwork and meet fwc standard caging requirements for reptiles and you do not need a permit to own boas in florida

Back