• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Where did all the yellow go?

Mark Beverly

My very nice pair of 2003 Serpenco butters produced six large healthy butter hatchlings last year. This year though we have had a bit of a suprise.
Dad:
ACR1782-f.jpg

Mom:
ACR1779-d.jpg

This years babies included three nice little butters and four little oddballs.
07-16a.jpg

07-16d.jpg

With the plain bellies and diffuse looking sides, my first guess was diffuse but I am wondering what is covering up the yellow. Any suggestions would be more than welcome. Looks like I will be doing some outcrossing next year. :crazy02:

just a guess...

but I think the parents may have both been het for one of the 'anery' genes which is masking the caramel gene. Personnally, they look a bit like opals to me, so I would guess lavender.

I suspect you are right about one of the anery types is involved. I think next year I will cross the male with a lavender and the female with a charcoal. Hopefully those crosses will shed some light on the subject.

It doesn't look like lavender is in the mix to me. My first guess was that the parents were both het anery. They could be het charcoal though as that hatchling looks more like a blizzard to me than an snow. I know that aneryA masks caramel but I'm not sure if charcoal does the same... :shrugs:

Cool bonus either way! :cheers:

Last edited:
In the first picture of the baby you can see a blue tinge above the eyes. This would suggest to me there is Charcoal in the mix. If this is the case then that would be a Blizzard. If they happen to be homozygous for Caramel then I believe the Charcoal would be masking it. Now for them having plain bellies. This could be a caused by a couple of reasons. First, as you stated, would be Bloodred the next possible guesses would be Motley and Stripe. I can't see much of a pattern, this could be caused by it being a Blizzard, so I can't tell if they are Motley. If the Motley/Stripe Genes were in the mix then one would suspect that at least one of the Butter babies would be Motley/Stripe as well. The logical choice would be Bloodred. My thought would be a "Whiteout" (Blizzard Bloodred). Do any of the Butters have clear bellies as well? Do they show any signs of diffusion at all? Where did you get the Parents from? Do you know anything else about the genetic lineage of the parents. Oh yeah, most importantly, what the hell do you want for a pair? :grin01: :sidestep:
Nice Snakes!
Jay :cool:

Do any of the Butters have clear bellies as well? Do they show any signs of diffusion at all? Where did you get the Parents from? Do you know anything else about the genetic lineage of the parents.

All three of this years butter babies and as I recall the 6 from last year all appear to have been normal butters with the standard belly pattern. The parents are 2003 Serpenco stock with this being their second year producing for me. They could really have just about any hets I guess. Thats what makes corn snake breeding so much fun. :grin01:
I will try to get some better photos of these oddball hatchlings as well as some of the normal butters tomorrow. Unfortunately everyone is having dinner tonight.:)

Nice Snakes! Cool bonus either way!
Thank you both very much.

Xthantic ( sp?)... ???? Of course, being Riches former animals, they caould anything in them, including the kitchen sink...

Regards.. Tim of T and J

you dont have any anery a's? i would cross the male to a lave and anery a, then the female to anery b. nice snakes btw i vote anery b...

I, too, suspect that charcoal is in the mix. IIRC, even animals that are homozygous for amel, caramel, and anery a still look more like snows with a little extra yellow. Yours scream blizzard to me. As for patterns; I'm willing to wager a guess that there's nothing abnormal about their pattern. My old blizzard, when it was a hatchling, had no visible belly checks or side markings. As was stated in another post, you'd expect to see at least a couple of the butters showing the pattern. Very unlikely that it would only be confined to the "oddballs".

These would make some great hold backs and see what they will be as they get older. Can you just imagine them slowly getting a pale yellow on them as they get up in age? :)
Very nice looking snakes.

Thank you all very much for your comments and suggestions.
Yours scream blizzard to me. As for patterns; I'm willing to wager a guess that there's nothing abnormal about their pattern. My old blizzard, when it was a hatchling, had no visible belly checks or side markings. As was stated in another post, you'd expect to see at least a couple of the butters showing the pattern. Very unlikely that it would only be confined to the "oddballs".
I am also leaning towards a single gene being responsible as all of the hatchlings are either butter or oddball. I guess that puts charcoal at the top of the list currently.
you dont have any anery a's?
Actually I do have have two female snow motleys of which I could spare one to test the male for anery a and motley at the same time. Thank you for the excellent suggestion.
I will definately keep posting some pictures as these little fellows grow.

tricksterpup said:
These would make some great hold backs and see what they will be as they get older. Can you just imagine them slowly getting a pale yellow on them as they get up in age? :)
Very nice looking snakes.

Many blizzards (assuming that's what we have here) do develop yellow. Though I will be very curious to see its effects here. I dont know of there being any homozygous anery b and caramel snakes.

I think that their is no question you have a few blizzards there. Snows have too much visible pattern, and even avalanches (snow bloodred) have more color on them than that, IMO. I also believe that both cahrcoal and anery mask caramel for the most part, but in both the yellow will show through a little as they age, and also while they are still young. That means that your little snakes would show even more color than originally expected. I'm 99% sure that's a blizzard. As for the pattern.... I would have to go with BlueApplePaste on this one. I don't think there is a pattern morph mixed in.

They are gorgeous little snakes no matter what, congrats on the surprise!!

Back