• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Where to buy my first snake!?

zlehmann

So I didn't want to get my first snake from a pet store. I would like to know as much as possible about the genes I'm getting since I would like to get into breeding down the road. I found a herp show coming up soon and was planning on waiting till then (mostly to talk to experts and avoid shipping costs). Are these shows a good place to acquire snakes or are online sources better (I don't know how I feel about shipping wildlife!). Thanks in advance for the help!

Shipping snakes really isn't as bad as it sounds - many members have shipped and had animals shipped to them with no issues - both of mine arrived fine, and one was even shipped in late Novemberish from up north. Good breeders will pack the little one securely and include a heatpack to keep them from getting too cold.

If I was in your position, I'd go to the show, talk to a few vendors and if you feel comfortable with the purchase and the vendor seems knowledgeable, make the call there - you can always do online if you don't find what you want, or aren't happy with the selection of vendors or animals.

Good luck!

I have bought many animals online (I can name 13 off the top of my head, but I think there are more....). I have never been disappointed or had a bad experiance. Check out a few of the breeders on this site. Why not check out a few galleries such as the one at Serpenco or South Mountain Reptiles? Then you can see what all the morphs look like. I'm sure you will find EXACTLY what you are looking for!

And kudos for not going to a pet shop. A good breeder is the best way to go :)

even if you do decide to buy online, i'd still recommend going to the show. ive only been to one myself, but i know they are a lot of fun to go see all the different reptiles.

Back