• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

wheres the poop

bigfish44

Hi everyone we have had drake 4 weeks fed him three pinkys. He is a 05 hatchling and he is in a 30gal tank with uth at 90 deg at glass also red heat light 83 deg air temp hot side. 68-72 cool side he is eating fine he wanders around at nite regulating in his three hides. I have keepers choice shreded bark.I have yet to find poop unless he is pooping under ground also no smell My question is how often to change substrate thanks Tom

Hi, welcome to the forums!

Sometimes when you have a hatchling, their poops are so tiny they are hard to see (especially if the bark is dark colored), and oftentimes will go unnoticed. When it was tough for me to see my hatchling's poop, I would change her substrate about once a month...or maybe every 2 to 3 weeks, if I was really concerned about missing a few of them. You just want to make sure that the snake isn't crawling around in its own feces. As they get bigger the poop gets MUCH easier to find. If your snake is not a hatchling then you may want to check for signs of impaction or constipation. Good luck!:)

You should adjust your heat down to about 82-85 for the uth, and you probably don't need the red lamp, although with multiple hides, it might be fine. As Katie mentioned, the small poops they have with pinkies is easily hidden even in light colored substrate like aspen, and is all but MIA with dark substrate like bark. That was one of the reasons I switched from bark. My older corns even manage to hide the occasional poop in the substrate when they burrow. No matter how much I pick out, when I clean the viv every couple of months, there's always something on the very bottom! They are masters of poopy disguise :) I usually completely clean out the viv every couple of months and spot clean the rest of the time.

I follow the same method' as Meg! I've my vivs with wood beech chips and one with aspen 'cause my yellow rat had respiratory problems on the chips. My adult corns all poo on the chips, so it's easily found. In the aspen it's more burried sometimes but when I smell something in the viv ( I open the vivs 2 times a day) I just search till the poo is found. My '05 corns poo can be found like half of the time when just checking the viv out. Not-found poo gets out when I do the big cleaning. They've so much space I do think it's ok to do so.

I feed my snake only two of the same food size (pinky, fuzzy etc) when it time to move up. Considering your feeding three pinky maybe it time for a fuzzy.

Just a thought.

Back