• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Where's this all going?

cornscottw6

I have to admit I'm interested in the idea of breeding my cornsnakes, but I wonder: (without sounding too philosophical or even critical) What ever happened to keeping a cornsnake just for the purpose of keeping a cornsnake? What I mean is there seems to be a lot of " I just got a new corn, what would be a good match for it? "

The big question:

Will there ever be too many corns? Are there already too many?

I realize there was an earlier post presented to Rich regarding a similar issue, but I wanted to dive just a little deeper into the issue.

Hope this didn't offend anyone as I myself have considered breeding my corns. I was just interested in hearing some other opinions and wanted to know if there are still people who keep corns just to keep them, having no interest in "propagating the species or discovering new morphs"

Just wonderin'..........

I pondered this MANY times myself.

I was trying to decide if I wanted to breed my two snows. EVERYONE seems to breed EVERYTHING they have though. And does the world really need 20 more snow corns?

I am not talking about breeders with projects and what not, I am talking about people like myself who havea few snakes, low end mostly and want to breed them.

It was a hard decision but basically I decided to go ahead and breed them because I want to know my stuff before getting into harder, more expensive snakes.

bmm

I agree, my corns started out as pets, and I am a newbie, but before I do any breeding I plan on researching and reading and learning. There are not alot of corns in my area, especially the ones that I eventually want to breed (bloodreds and blizzards), there are some normals, snows, anerys, and amels, but not really alot of the other morphs. Besides, new blood isn't a bad thing, its good when other people out there want to get into something and have a passion for it. There are alot of dog breeders, horse breeders, and other animal breeders out there also. I don't plan on making my living breeding and selling snakes, it will be a hobby for me, one that I enjoy. Maybe only 1 or 2 clutches a year. I don't think that I will over populate the world with corn snakes. Just my 2 cents.

I sort of fall in line with these two fellows. My collecting different types of corn snake is an attempt to get the ones I like--like everybody else. Not having the money to out right buy some of the ones I want, I've had to go the route of buying the less expensive "Het. Fors." I don't mind doing this, since I really like the snakes I've gotten. I'll breed to get what I want and sell the ones I don't want. I don't think I'm unique in this regard.

Producing more corns than the world can hold, is not as big an ethical issue for me as is introducing corns snakes into an eco-system alien to the one in which they have evolved. Recently, I had one little one escape out of its shoebox, which had the lid on it and a rock on top of the lid to boot. I must not have closed it all the way. Anyhow, I would prefer to either find the snake alive or dead, rather than have it running lose in California. Corns don't belong in the wild in California.

I learned two valuable lessons that day: 1) Be more careful about maintaining a snake collection which is not indigenous to your area; and 2) Thank Goodness it wasn't a hot-herp. (Can you imagine? Honey, one of the baby rattlers has escaped. Could you keep an eye out for it?)

I'll admit that when I got my first corn I was really excited to have him grow really fast and breed him and have little babies hatch and everything.
Now I've realized that it might be fun initially, but the added responsibility of a bunch of fragile hatchlings (trying to get them to feed, finding good homes for them or housing them yourself) is actually something I won't be able to handle at this point in my life.
I think a lot of people, especially kids, only think about the breeding and the eggs and the hatching and the getting different morphs without really thinking about the the whole picture. To hear some people talk, it seems like the only reason they're keeping corns is so they can breed them someday. "How much faster will my snake grow if I feed her SIX mice a week?? I really want to breed her soon." etc etc
I got into corns with that sort of attitude, but now I realize that corns are just great pets and I don't even want to breed them right now. Someday I will most likely breed corns, but it'll just be for fun, not a business or anything.

For me, I just want a pet. I'm new to snakes, and so getting one to breed or collect would be a bit overwhelming. Maybe a passion will grow from one snake, who knows? I don't resent that thought, but we'll have enough critters as it is for the time being. I'd rather devote my attention to all of them rather than focus on creating more of one species. There's also all the money to consider saving in order to support more herps, and properly care for the eggs and all.

With cities trying to ban or limit reptiles and exotic creatures, it seems breeding and numbers would get more difficult. Hopefully people will be able to successfully counter them or come to terms and better educate people about reptiles.

The thought of one corn snake is joyful enough in itself. :)

I just love my pet but...

Should he (and hopefully THEM later on) be big enough to breed, about 2005, I don't see why not.

It's natural afterall!

Back