• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

white discoloration

marike

daydreamer
Hallo @ all,

I have a question about my amel motley. Some time after his last shed (I wasn't home then, my friend took care of water etc) I noticed this white area right behind the snakes head. He never had a single white scale apart from his belly.
Here is my snake:
http://img805.imageshack.us/img805/4452/ganzcopy.jpg

and here the area in question in detail:
http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/6853/detailcopyo.jpg

Any idea what this might be? Otherwise he seems to be fine.

Thank for any advice,
marike

do you feed live perhaps? kinda looks like a prey bite to me :( other than that i have no idea but i am pretty darn new...

Actually it looks like a past injury. Like he rubbed himself trying to get out or something. Any chance he injured himself before and had a shed while you were gone? This guy just did something similar rubbing his head and neck along the top of his cage trying to get to the ladies.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    171.4 KB · Views: 119
Thanks for your replies.

He doesn't get live food, so I can eliminate the possibility of a bite.
He may have injured himself somehow while I was gone, I can't be sure.

In another forum the possibility of a fungus was brought up. In pictures I found googling, fungus seems more brownish to be. And it would be something ON the scales, wouldn't it? With my little guy, there are just the scales themselves that seem to have bleached out.

Is anyone here who knows what scale fungug looks like and can rule this out for me? :confused:

Thanks a lot.

Greetings,
marike

I have never dealt with fungus, thank goodness, but it doesn't look fungus-y to me. It really does look more like he injured himself and is in the healing process. Hopefully someone who would know better can put your mind at ease that it is not fungus.

It does look like more of a healing injury than fungus. When we took in Serj, the spotted python, he had several area's like this that were whitish. They were injuries or scars I would say. The areas have healed nicely and you can barely tell where they were. I would just watch the next time he sheds to make sure it doesn't get stuck around that area.

It looks like a scar in the process of healing. How long had it been since you had seen your snake? If this injury occurred sometime after his last shed, I would think it would still be a bit of an open wound, or it wouldn't look that pretty. There's actual scales there, which is what makes me believe it's an old injury. In the case of nose rubbing or even head rubbing injuries, usually the entire scale is removed. It doesn't look like that was the case here. I would place this injury as sometime before his last shed. Give him a few sheds, and I believe color will return to that area. Just give it time. :)

Hallo beautifullywild77 and RobbiesCornField,

I was away for about 3 weeks, somewhere in between he shed. My friend just found the old shed (was ruptured in the middle but otherwise seemed ok) and didn't notice anything odd, he says.

My snake lives in this viv for nearly 3 years now. No idea, where he had injured himself that bad. Maybe he fell and hit something on his way down unluckily. He gets in spring fever now and is really active.

But I'm reassured a bit. I'll have a closer look at the viv for injury-sources and will observe the area. We'll see what it looks like after his next shed.

Thank you very much,
marike

If there's a screen top on the viv, it's entirely possible that is what caused it to be rubbed raw. Just keep an eye on him, and let us know what happens after his next shed!

You said it's motley? I know my sunrise motley go through a change and it will get more white scales after each shed. I am not saying this is what your corn is. But this is the way the sunrise begins. If you had more pics and the age would also tell me more.

Hallo,

a little update about my snake.

He shed recently. The skin came off without any problems and the white area has about halved in size. I am sure, it will disappear after one or two more sheds.

Thank you for all your help.

Greetings,
marike

Yep! Definitely sounds like a "rubbing" injury. Should clear up fine by the next shed. If not, let me know and I'd be happy to help figure out the best way to manage it from there. Good luck!

Back