• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Why do my corns

jasons corn

why do my corns hide all the time...never cage active....all they will do is go from 1 hide to the other...but i dont even see that...its like they have a escape route out of the tank its retarded....why do they not move....i have 2 of them one lives in the hide 24/7 and the other is better...he moves a lil more... why do they act strangly

i do have them in the same tanks....ones a year or so old...the others 10 months and they eat on the same schedeul....but if we take them some where...like the pet store for check ups, they move like crazy....anad the younger one has snaped at me about 10 times now...and hit me 4 times....its extremely strange....

Well . . .

It sounds to me like your corns are stressed from cohabitating :shrugs: .

On the other hand, they are nocturnal, so you just may not see them out moving around.

But they still sound stressed to me.

My "2 in the same viv" both come out well after dark, i'm talking 1-2am at the earliest, but they both go their own way in the viv, and do their own thing. I've found that they will have spurts of activaty, IE 1 will climb for an hour or so then rest, soak drink or whatever and the other 1 will start then, this happens most nights between 1-2 and 6-7am.

It sounds like normal behaviour to me, normal that is for 2 corns living together.

OK. My corn does the same thing. except he is all by himself... i dont even see him come out at 1am... the only time i saw him come out wqas once when we still fed him in his viv..any answer for that? :shrugs:

peep_827 said:
It sounds to me like your corns are stressed from cohabitating :shrugs: .

On the other hand, they are nocturnal, so you just may not see them out moving around.

But they still sound stressed to me.

I agree with the nocturnal comment but I am not exactly sure about the "stressed" out part. They could be, but maybe not.

My corns always hide and I have 4 in different cages.

so this is normal?...i dont mind that he does it i was wondering if he was still acclimating. pythons are too big...

Yes, its normal for them to hide. They are usually cruisin' at night and sleep during the day. If you're up around 3am, I'm sure you could probably sneak in and catch him cruising :D

Also, some like to cruise around more than others. Some of mine are incredibly shy and hide ALL the time and others are always out roaming. I think its also a personality. But yes, its normal.

Oops . . .

Yeah, the hiding part is normal, that's why I added that in about being nocturnal. I rarely see my snakes during the day, but from the looks of their viv/tubs in the morning, they go NUTS at night. LOL

When I said it sounded like stress I was referring to the fact that he said his youngest snake keeps biting him. THAT sounds like stress to me. Sorry if I wasn't clear. Course I could be wrong, I've only had that problem with one and now that I've had her a few weeks she's settling down some.

When I said it sounded like stress I was referring to the fact that he said his youngest snake keeps biting him. THAT sounds like stress to me.

I agree with that (missed it earlier).

How long have you had the snake's? If it's only a matter of days or weeks and their young (this years hatchling's, or last years late hatchling's) then that could be the problem.

My corn snake though mostly nocturnal comes out when she thinks the room is empty and many of times I have caught her roaming around mid day. The she freezes when she has seen me and slowly moves to the closest hide and the flies right in. Its a fun little game we have going.

One of my snakes does what CountMEout's snake does and the other is always hiding. The one that cruises alot iv only had for a week and 2 days and the other corn iv had for 2 weeks. Both of my snakes have never tried to bite. The one that cruises more is alot faster while the other will just wrap around your fingers and is slow, not nervous at all.

also you said that when you take them out they cruise really fast and freak out, all you have to do to cure this is to hold them more until they calm down. this may take a while. took one of my snakes like 3 months of holding regularly to get her calm. my normal didn't take too long to calm, maybe a month, or maybe not even.

If your snakes are young then I'd expect it's mainly due to natural instincts that tell them to stay hidden. I co-house some of my snakes and they're no more or less active than the ones that are housed individually. I can't correlate any evidence of stress to whether they're housed alone or in pairs. Whatever situation they get used to is what they'll end up settling with. I have a snow and a sunglow motley that live together and seem agitated when one or the other is out of the viv, then when I re-unite them, they smell each other and then curl up together...very happy together as far as I can see.

To clarify a little technicality, cornsnakes are crepuscular, not nocturnal. Crepuscular animals are most active in the hours around dusk and again at dawn. You might notice this when the auto-lights go off in the evening (if you use this system) and then a few hours later they settle down again.

Once your snakes get to 10-12 months or so, you should notice they start to get a little mre bold. They might not come out into the open to 'sunbake' all the time, but they will cruise more often and for longer periods. Good luck with them,
Adèle

countMEout said:
My corn snake though mostly nocturnal comes out when she thinks the room is empty and many of times I have caught her roaming around mid day. The she freezes when she has seen me and slowly moves to the closest hide and the flies right in. Its a fun little game we have going.

LOL that is excactly how my snake acts when i catch him roaming around the tank when he thinks hes alone, then he freezes and goes in reverse to his hide out :rolleyes:

Back