• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Why Does My Girl Keep Regurging????

ricoandcarlotta

I must be doing something wrong...Carlotta keeps throwing up her food. I didn't know she had regurged one of her last feeds until tonight. I had waited almost 2 weeks to feed her. She had eaten 2 pinkies the last time. I didn't know she had thrown anything up until I took her out and I found a partially digested pinkie in her hidey hole. She did eat 1 pinkie tonight and I put her back in her viv very gently. Am I moving her too soon???? How long am I supposed to leave her alone before I try to put her back in her viv. I've been waiting 2 hours. She is about 4-6 month old hypo. Rico is doing fine. Neither have had a blue, if that matters. Thank you for your help. Otherwise she seems to be doing fine. Still likes to just curl around my fingers and sit.:puke01:

Well, it hasn't happened to me (yet), but everyone seems to ask about temperatures. So are they OK? Nanci seems to be really smart & thorough, and she goes back to feeding tiny meals, like a pink head & works up from there, did you do that? Oh, yoohoo, Nanci, come help this nice person!

Hm, regurges are bad. I've had two snakes that had problems regurging. First thing is to check their temperatures on both sides. Also, check humidity. How long have you had them? Hatchlings should shed about once a month. I got my two on NutriBAC (ordered it from Kathy Love) and it seemed to help with their appetite.

Also, if you're gently moving them from the feeding container back to the viv, then that's not what I'd considered handling, and shouldn't be causing the regurge. If she regurges again, I'd move down to pink heads. It's very important to start small and go slow once a snake regurges, especially if it's happened more than once. Just check all of your husbandry, try and order some NutriBAC, and be patient.

Good luck and keep us updated!

Double check everything, temps, plenty of hides, ect.

How big is the snake in length? 2 pinks MAY be too much, which is one reason a snake may regurge: too big of a meal.
Also, I watch my snake eat so I know if something goes wrong, and as soon as the food is down and she starts to move around, I gently pick her up and place her near the warm side of the tank so she can hide quickly in the right spot. Waiting two hours before putting her back in her cage may be stressing her out.

Also, you should wait 2-3 days before handling your snake after feeding. And for prey size, it should be around 1.0 to 1.5 times the girth of the thickest part of the snake.

If regurging keeps happening and you're following the steps of not handling, the right size prey, and following regurge protocol (feeding little meals for a few weeks until going back to normal), take the corn to a vet.

Regurges are serious and if not handled properly can be fatal.

1) Check your temps, corns need belly heat to digest, make sure you have an Under Tank Heater and that it is controled by either a thermostat or a rheostat. Get a digital thermometer with a probe and stick it to the floor of the viv right above the UTH or get an infared temp gun and check the temp on the floor of the viv right above the UTH, do not check temps on the substrate corns burrow, so you need to check it right on the floor. You want a warm side temp or 83-85. Temps that are to high or too cool can cause regurges as they then can not digest. Cool side temp of 70-75.

2) Ensure your snake has a hide on the warm side and on the cool side. Make sure it also has fresh clean water at all times.

3) As already mentioned try to order NutriBac from Kathy Love's website(see below the regurge protocol) & follow, very strictly her regurge protocol.

FAQ from Kathy Love on Regurgitation Treatment

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT - once a snake has regurged, especially twice or more, it is more likely to keep on regurging until it dies, unless something is changed about its care and feeding. It is very important NOT to let this continue. PLEASE FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS BELOW VERY CAREFULLY. This is from my FAQ on regurges:

I suspect your problem is probably not bad mice, but about handling too soon, feeding too soon or too large of a meal, a stomach "bug", or improper temps. If you make these mistakes once, or even twice, it is not usually a problem if you FOLLOW MY INSTRUCTIONS EXACTLY. But remember, each time it regurges, the stomach acids are depleted, and the whole electrolyte balance is thrown off more and more each time, and it makes it MORE likely that it will continue to throw up until it dies. (those consequences are just my opinions - I do not know if science backs up my conclusions, but my experience certainly does!) That is why it is so important to NOT ALLOW another regurge.

The next month or two is crucial. DO NOT feed it for AT LEAST 8 days since the last regurge. NOT ANYTHING AT ALL! Then get a newborn frozen pinky and cut it in half (or cut off just the head) If she eats it, leave her alone for a whole week. (no handling). Repeat the partial pinkie feeding the following week. Then feed a whole newborn pinkie a week after that, if there has been no regurge. Leave alone for a whole week. If she regurges, wait a week and repeat 1/2 pinkie. If she keeps it down, wait a week and repeat whole pinkie. If she holds down a couple of meals, DO NOT rush back into larger meals and more handling. Treat this seriously. Go very slowly. After 3 successful meals, go to a newborn pink every 5 days. Go back to normal feedings only after 6 successful meals. Always wait to handle until after 3 or 4 days, but only AFTER 6 successful meals. No handling until then (causes stress, need to keep stress down). And NEVER feed again right after a regurge - ALWAYS wait AT LEAST 7 or 8 days, maybe even up to 10 days, and then only feed something that was about 1/2 the size (or less) of what she regurged..

Also, be sure that temps are not too warm or cool. Try to give an area of low to mid 80s on one side and 70s on the other. Too hot or cold will cause regurges.

Grapefruit seed extract can sometimes help if the snake has some sort of "stomach bug" (any microbial problem) as it is a natural remedy that is good against many kinds of pathogens, but not as strong as an antibiotic prescribed by a doctor. This product has been used in agriculture for many years and seems to be very safe, as long as you dilute it with enough water that the acidity does not burn the tissues. A vet has told me he feels that it may somewhat alter the pH of the animal and thus change the way medicines are absorbed. So if you use this product and then take the snake to a vet, mention the treatment so it can be taken into account if the vet decides to change the prescription because of it. It is best to mix it in a glass and taste it to make sure it is not so bitter that the snake refuses to drink it. I have used it on myself and so has my husband. I find it works better on stomach problems than for other symptoms (such as respiratory - I didn't have any luck treating colds or other respiratory problems).You can buy it at a local health food store or online. Please refer to the following website for more background info:
http://www.nutriteam.com/index2.html

I have also had success with a probiotic called Nutri Bac, a fine powder containing seven different microflora that should be inhabiting the gut of reptiles, but may be absent due to stress, disease, antibiotic treatments, etc. Using the powder as a supplement will sometimes allow the reptile to get back the natural balance of microbes in its digestive tract, and then its own immune system can take over. See my website for more details, or go here:
http://www.cornutopia.com/Corn Ut...information.htm

The number of days and amounts of food, etc, suggested above are not set in stone. Other people may have success with slightly different formulas, but this is what I found works for me and many of my customers. If this protocol does not work when carefully followed, it is likely that the snake has some severe problems. Your only hope is a QUALIFIED herp vet, who may or may not be able to save your pet.

Please follow my care sheet for the first month or so when starting with new acquisitions (posted on my website for the first month's care of new corns).. The first month is crucial in getting the baby established. It is worth a little extra "coddling" for the first month in order to have a trouble free pet for the next 10 or 15 years or more.

Good luck!
Kathy Love

CONTACT INFO:

CORNUTOPIA / Kathy Love
Captive-Bred Cornsnakes

WEB: http://www.CornUtopia.com
Ph (239) 728-2390
Cell (239) 691-4414
EMAIL: [email protected]

Hopefully this helps.

as far as when to put back into viv after feeding, i wait about 20-30 minutes to let her calm down...but I have never had a regurge...just my $.02

my temps and humidity are perfect at 75f cold side and 84f hot side and 30%h, she always goes to the hot side hide when I put her back in after feeding.
she always goes to the cold side after normal handling (48hrs and beyond after feeding).

I would (after this meal digests) take her back to half pinks for two meals, then go to whole pinks cut into three pieces for a _lot_ of meals, until she is several grams bigger than when she regurged the double pink meal. When you go to move up to double pinks again, I'd add in several meals of 1.5 pinks- make sure you see her gaining weight and not regurging. I would continue to feed pinks in halves, peach fuzzies in thirds, then halves, fuzzies in thirds if you can stand it and depending on the size! The snake won't care.

You need to get a bottle of Nutribac (from Kathy Love, http://cornutopia.com) and powder every meal with that. I'd feed at a five day interval, but if she regurges again, I'd drop that back to six or seven days (after a ten day waiting period).

I wouldn't handle at all, except for moving to and from her feeding container, for a couple months.

Thank you for all your advice. I've got her digesting and she has not regurged this meal...I can see it moving down her body. She's laying in her warm end curled up. I will cut the next pinkie in half and reduce the size of her next meal. And I will get some NutriBac. All seems well and I will keep you all posted. Her first regurg was obviously a mouse...this last one I'm not sure...it looked different. It might not have been her dinner, it might have been something else. But I'm not taking any chances.

Thanks again...ya'll were great!

Back