• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

why is she doing this?

red_nan

i brought home a beautifully coloured corn yestorday.

they thought that maybe it was a female they didn't know.
i didn't want to probe her until she'd eaten her 1st meal here and pooed-let her settle in-then find out-she was bought for beauty so i really didn't care.

i know about her past care and put her in with my male.

with in 3 hours of being in the tank she layed a slug-though at the time i thought it an odd hard poo (and there was also a pile of poo about an inch away from it.)
today she has now laid 3 more slugs. i can't feel anything but smoothness in her belly now. do you have to press hard to feel the eggs?

i would not have thought her old enough to breed she's only about 30" and slim but not skinny.

she seems almost ready to eat now-wait anotherday to offer food?

i just find it odd that she did nothing for weeks then as soon as she gets home, here come the slugs--any ideas? closeness of the male? new home nerves? anything?

thanks
red

I had a 2 yr old female that had never met another corn lay a clutch of slugs last year, so it can happen. The stress of the trip/new home/and the male may have started the process, but she was going to lay them anyway and it may be just coincidence. I can usually feel the eggs in my females with minimal pressure, especially of the eggs are fertile. Sometimes, and more so with slugs, you may need a little more pressure to feel them. And I have one female that I can't feel the eggs in at all, but I don't want to really apply alot of pressure.

I always like to wait a week before I feed any newcomer to my collection, just to give them some time to settle in. I would recommend you do the same, and when you do feed her, offer a smaller than normal mouse.

I would also put her in her own tank and not keep her with the male. Her body thinks it's ready to start breeding and you would run the risk of her mating for a second clutch. Many of my females will mate for a second clutch in only a couple of weeks after laying their first clutch, so don't delay.

thanks

i read and read the threads here and found nothing. i'm glad to know thats "normal".

the only place left in my house that i can think of to put an other tank-without being in front of a window or in a draft is on the toliet tank-but that may have too high of a humidty-and i don't think house guess would like it eigher! lol

but tommorow she gets her own tank somewhere.

thanks again
red

I have always found the easiest way to feel for eggs is to let the snkes glide through your hands. This way she won't feel like you are grabbing/holding her and she will be relaxed. With your index finger placed on her underside you should be able to feel if there are anymore in the works.

Back