• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

why refuse to eat??

Caleb McGuire

so i just ot my shipment of adult mice.my corn is lil over 175grams and refuses to eat. so i decided to givr small fuzzies i ha and he only ate one how had. he is still acting hungry obviously, any reasobs why he wobt eat adult?

Could be a different smelling mouse than what he's used to. I know the few mice I got off CL from RodentPro smelled terrible. Or he could just not be hungry this week. I'd leave him be until next week and try again. I'd say that my ball python acts hungry every time I have a mouse or rat thawing, but anytime I offer him food he refuses.

A few of the more common reasons at this time of year:

- Too hot
- Too cold
- About to shed
- Too busy looking for a mate

Refusal to feed coupled with increased activity is typical "spring fever" behaviour for an adult male. What you're interpreting as "acting hungy is most likely a search for a female.

Double-check temps on the flooor just to be on the safe side. But my guess is that he'll start eating of his own accord in a few weeks. Just keep offering his normal food at intervals.

In the meantime, you'll probably find that he's roaming about the tank much more than usual. All normal.

That is extremely helpful. I am also a new corn owner and am worried because my 'Amber' is not eating, 'she' hasnt eaten since Feb.16th, and is also very active in 'her' tank. I've been putting mice in tank weekly but it just get pushed around. I have been watching 'her' like a hawk for signs of illness, dehydration, mites etc but 'she' still looks big and strong. 'Shes' just over a year old, 36" and looks like Bitsy's pic above. (never had him/her professionally sexed) SO now I'm thinking I have to change 'Ambers' name to 'Ember' my boy : )) I just got him a 75 gal tank with lots of things to climb on, he's having a blast. What you said makes total sense. Thanks!!

It varies between individuals. Can be three or four weeks, might be a couple of months.

A top tip is to make a note of the date "s/he" last ate, and then when eating starts again. That way, you'll be less concerned next year!

One more question not conserning this thread but... my Corn has had his tail felling really sharp and pointy kinda feels like bone is this normal??

As long as there isn't a bit of stuck shed on it, yes, that's normal. The very end tip of the tail is mostly just bone with scales over the top.

The mouse should be about one and a half times wider than the snakes body (not the head, or the neck immediately behind the head).

If they're bigger than that, then yes, they could well be too big.

This post contains something called "The Munson Plan" which is really good starting point set of guidelines for feeding:
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118271&highlight=Munson+Plan

As yours will eat fuzzies, it might be worth sticking with those until he settles in.

Back